Qt 5.3 Might Depend On SSE2 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    You realise that there are distributions like Gentoo or ones dedicated to old hardware support? It's a default that can easily be changed.
    Yes, I realize that. As a Slackware user I am used to compile software from source. My statement was merely directed at such nonsense like
    Originally posted by Alliancemd
    People with such old processors don't use new software
    Originally posted by darkcoder
    If you have an old 2000-2003 computer you should either stop using new software and go back to Win 98/Linux 2.x based kernel distro, or get new hardware... plain and simple.
    Yes, while Gentoo well tuned can do miracles (I used it for a couple of years), some people try to use very old computers with the latest software.
    Having an old computer does not at all mean that you have to use old and unsupported software, it only means that you have to choose the software you use with regards to resource usage, which doesn't disqualify using Qt based software.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      why disable it on builds ?
      It isn't disabled on builds, it is only disabled on their own binary releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Where the hell did you get that info from? So people with older CPUs don't use Razor-Qt or now LXDE-Qt? Also they don't use VLC or other Qt based software?
        You realize that more software than just KDE is using Qt?
        IWith all the advancements in low power CPU and APU systems a bottom of the line Atom or Brazos based system will blow your decade old CPU out of the water and use fraction of the power to do so.

It's time to let go of pre 64-bit hardware. Just because it still runs doesn't mean it's still worth running. A Model T Ford may still work, but you wouldn't choose one as your daily driver.

Any specialized low performance requirement you have for old hardware can probably be done on an ARM chip for even less power consumption with the same or better performance over the decade old x86 hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          IWith all the advancements in low power CPU and APU systems a bottom of the line Atom or Brazos based system will blow your decade old CPU out of the water and use fraction of the power to do so.

It's time to let go of pre 64-bit hardware. Just because it still runs doesn't mean it's still worth running. A Model T Ford may still work, but you wouldn't choose one as your daily driver..
          For sure, anyone with an old system will suddenly have the money to replace it, just because you say so. Get real, not all people are living in first world countries with cheap hardware available.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            For sure, anyone with an old system will suddenly have the money to replace it, just because you say so. Get real, not all people are living in first world countries with cheap hardware available.
            If thats the case then they also shouldn't expect to run the latest and greatest software. The first world countries aren't going to wait for anyone to catch up. If the 3rd world countries don't like it they can put resources into education so that they can have their own developers that can make software tailored to the older hardware used by their nations populace.

Comment

If thats the case then they also shouldn't expect to run the latest and greatest software. The first world countries aren't going to wait for anyone to catch up. If the 3rd world countries don't like it they can put resources into education so that they can have their own developers that can make software tailored to the older hardware used by their nations populace.
              Why didn't I expect a different answer? Are you really that close minded? Don't bother to answer, someone with that mindset is not worth being read by me, welcome to my ignore list, moron.

Comment

It's time to let go of pre 64-bit hardware. Just because it still runs doesn't mean it's still worth running. A Model T Ford may still work, but you wouldn't choose one as your daily driver.

Any specialized low performance requirement you have for old hardware can probably be done on an ARM chip for even less power consumption with the same or better performance over the decade old x86 hardware.
                To others that might read this; it is only written for this child and there is no reason to get excited

as some one who actually knows what hes talking about i tell you

no
                no
                and no

atom and brazos can suck my athlon xp

32bit is sometimes faster to use on 64bit cpus and even P4 had sse

even the top arm can suck an atom

i have a new monster cpu now
                you know whats it good for ?
                its good only for new, poorly optimized, games
                like the CoD you probably play

advances ?
                what fucking advances
                Moore's law does not apply anymore, and it didnt for a while now
                even so what complex thing does a 2D gui do that it needs a monster cpu

third world countries holding first world back ?
                what the fuck are you talking about
                i know plenty of people that have money to god and never get a new computer
                why dont they ?
                'cuz they dont need it
                in fact you can run a fairly high load server on a P4

also google cpu dispatching
                not that i expect you too understand what it means

To others:
                KDE devs know what they are doing and it will not hurt none of users
                not the old computers, neither the newest
                cpu dispatching is a method to make this kind of things work at best efficiency (example glibc, x264, etc.)

Comment

cpu dispatching is a method to make this kind of things work at best efficiency (example glibc, x264, etc.)
                  The only thing I get from the article is that SSE3 is implemented through CPU dispatching. SSE vs. SSE2 seems to be (again, according to how Michael expressed it, maybe it is wrong or I am reading it wrong) a build time option.

Comment

its good only for new, poorly optimized, games
                    like the CoD you probably play
                    hum that was some good, constructive comment

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      The only thing I get from the article is that SSE3 is implemented through CPU dispatching. SSE vs. SSE2 seems to be (again, according to how Michael expressed it, maybe it is wrong or I am reading it wrong) a build time option.
                      ye, i didnt read it with understanding
                      its not about the whole QT

its 'cuz of QT's QML JIT engine thing
                      they will probably (maybe) add non-SSE2 to it later
                      idk
                      i dont care much about java

fact is almost all cpu's have at least sse1
                      then again its about the big picture, as in ARM dosent
                      and again, QT devs know what they are doing
                      (i called them KDE devs in last post)

@ erendorn
                      its hard to guess the tone of