Linux 3.13 To Receive Multi-Queue Block Layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
    If these numbers a true I'm going to cry. The one issue I care about has been I/O. NVIDIA you can keep Optimus to yourself as long as my computer doesn't freeze when Amarok decides to do a library scan or firefox/Opera/Chrome have to access their caches or I copy something to USB, or hell, playing video can be pretty terrible sometimes.
    they're using a null backend, so real world performance advantage is likely to be lower. we'll have to wait until it's released to see how much real benefit comes for current hardware.

i'm curious if it'll benefit hard-disks much on simple numa (2 node) architectures. i imagine the latency reduction will have at least minor benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      So I take it these changes are only going to effect people that have SSDs that support this feature? or do all SATA drives support this feature?
      I checked the slides and it should affect SSDs, eMMCs and the like, not magnetic storage.

Comment

Just a small pointer, not sure the forum's where to do it, but whatever - there's a minor typo in this news post:

and ctually yields simpler driver development.

Comment

This will reduce compile time, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
            This will reduce compile time, right?
            probably slightly but mostly from less cache thrashing, i imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
              3.13 Won't make it to 14.04.
              Quite sure it will.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
                (...) as long as my computer doesn't freeze when Amarok decides to do a library scan (...)
                This is partially because Amarok uses an over-featured SQL database backend that is much slower than a simple custom solution could be...

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
                  So glad Arch is a rolling release and we don't have to worry about which version is going to get a specific kernel...
                  Agreed and Manjaro makes it super easy to install and remove kernels with all the benefits of Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Fedora 21 and Ubuntu 14.04 get more and more interesting...
                    Fedora 20, and probably even 19, will get kernel 3.13.
                    Fedora 18, 19, and 20 (prerelease) are all already on 3.11, the next round of kernel updates (probably happen this coming week) will probably bring on 3.12. Note that F17 got all the way up to 3.10 before its support was dropped, which is the same version 18 and 19 were running at the same time.

Generally, their policy is to keep the kernel up at the latest stable version for Fedora "stable" or "close to stable", and at the latest BLEEDING version for unstable/WTF (i.e., F21 is riding 3.12 prerelease.)

Comment

Working...
                    X