Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.12 Kernel Still Shows Disk Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I tried something as simple as copying large (hundred MB) files to and from a RAM disk. Nothing else was using the drive, the drive is properly calibrated, I have it attached to a SATA III port, and the partition is mounted by root (its the boot partition).
    Schmidtbag, which SSD do you have ?


    As for the previous comment by someone else about the on-demand governor and benchmarks. On-Demand is the 'default', Michael benchmarks the default. He's made that clear for other reasons in the past.

    It would be nice, if he had the time (doubt it) to run this against all governors and max-speed.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by bofh80 View Post
      Schmidtbag, which SSD do you have ?


      As for the previous comment by someone else about the on-demand governor and benchmarks. On-Demand is the 'default', Michael benchmarks the default. He's made that clear for other reasons in the past.

      It would be nice, if he had the time (doubt it) to run this against all governors and max-speed.
      ADATA SP900. Uses the Sandforce controller (latest firmware).

      My system is also pretty heavily overclocked, if that makes a difference.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        ADATA SP900. Uses the Sandforce controller (latest firmware).

        My system is also pretty heavily overclocked, if that makes a difference.
        This one?
        - Read : Up to 555MB/s
        - Write : Up to 530MB/s
        - Multimedia Data Transfer (AS-SSD)
        - Read : Up to 220MB/S
        - Write : Up to 255MB/S

        Looks like large file reads top out at 220 on Windows too.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by bofh80 View Post
          Schmidtbag, which SSD do you have ?


          As for the previous comment by someone else about the on-demand governor and benchmarks. On-Demand is the 'default', Michael benchmarks the default. He's made that clear for other reasons in the past.

          It would be nice, if he had the time (doubt it) to run this against all governors and max-speed.
          Both kernels were using pstate driver as shown at Openbenchmarking. 3.11 had pstate by default for sandy.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Both kernels were using pstate driver as shown at Openbenchmarking. 3.11 had pstate by default for sandy.
            So pstate powersave...

            Now the last 3.12 disk benchmarks were on a haswell, but it's unclear if that's pstate or cpufreq, and no link to the ob test.
            How about some AMD system on 3.12 with the same test as this for clarity?

            Thanks for pointing the pstate out Michael, missed that.

            Comment

            Working...
            X