OpenZFS Launches To Promote Open-Source ZFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    A BSD-licence means it would be able to ship with the upstream kernel? Sweet. I just wonder what would happen to Btrfs if ZFS suddenly became available to everyone on Linux.
    Btrfs will continue to live. IMHO Btrfs has a much better design than ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      Of course. And we are saying is that it should be BSD or MIT (or similar GPL compatible) licensed to be fully usable by any OS.
      Is CDDL really GPL-incompatible though?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Is CDDL really GPL-incompatible though?
        Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL), version 1.0 (#CDDL)

This is a free software license. It has a copyleft with a scope that's similar to the one in the Mozilla Public License, which makes it incompatible with the GNU GPL. This means a module covered by the GPL and a module covered by the CDDL cannot legally be linked together. We urge you not to use the CDDL for this reason.

Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term ?intellectual property?.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
          How can source code be put in a cage?
          Very easy. M$ took the Code and makes patented Mods to the Code, and after that the Code is jailed in Redmond.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL), version 1.0 (#CDDL)

This is a free software license. It has a copyleft with a scope that's similar to the one in the Mozilla Public License, which makes it incompatible with the GNU GPL. This means a module covered by the GPL and a module covered by the CDDL cannot legally be linked together. We urge you not to use the CDDL for this reason.

Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term ?intellectual property?.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-...ftwareLicenses
            Maybe I'm just obtuse but it seems very arbitrary. Reading through the CDDL I'm not really seeing what makes it incompatible, and the GNU site doesn't really provide specifics (like an actual clause or paragraph number).

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
              Very easy. M$ took the Code and makes patented Mods to the Code, and after that the Code is jailed in Redmond.
              So "M$" will visit the home of everyone with a copy of the source code and pry their computers from their hands then destroys each copy only leaving copies that are stored on computers owned by Microsoft hence preventing anyone else from using the open source code?

Comment

Maybe I'm just obtuse but it seems very arbitrary. Reading through the CDDL I'm not really seeing what makes it incompatible, and the GNU site doesn't really provide specifics (like an actual clause or paragraph number).
                That's the FSF and GNU for you.

Comment

The CDDL expects all source under that license to be released under the CDDL and nothing else, the GPL expects all source under that license to be released under the GPL and nothing else.
                  This is why there's usually little compatibility between copyleft licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    The CDDL expects all source under that license to be released under the CDDL and nothing else, the GPL expects all source under that license to be released under the GPL and nothing else.
                    This is why there's usually little compatibility between copyleft licenses.
                    And I'm still not seeing how that makes it impossible for one to be a kernel module of the other.

Comment

And I'm still not seeing how that makes it impossible for one to be a kernel module of the other.
                      Not impossible , just illegal to ship together.

Comment

Working...
                      X