Wine 1.7.1 Arrives With Some Minor Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvement of 4% in performance in some games in not really minor:

I use Wine to play Dota 2 on Linux, since it performs better (uses half of the memory and starts in half of the time):

I've documented it here, along with a patch that improves FPS to be as in the native version or slightly faster:
    Dota 2 for Linux implements it's 3D engine by using a Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer called ToGL. I assume that this layer can be used...

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      That's about as fancy as you can get... Internet Explorer simply doesn't work on Wine. Many application and games do, without any configuration no less. WineHQ is a great resource for the information on what application work and don't work. Most of the games I'm interested in work with Wine just fine.
      That is exactly what i was thinking, when i read his comment. IE is one of the applications most tied to Windows, or rather close integration. Being as Wine only covers, what 75% or something and to have proper CIFS in wine, it's out-of-tree patches that are needed. (one example of missing functionality that IE probably wants)... Plus, who needs IE, when i got my trusty x64 "wine Internet Explorer"?...lol;

..to quote Bono (of U2); "even better than the real thing, child"

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      Until the majority of Adobe CS and other creative tools are working, or we get a real step up in games compatibility, no new release of WINE is going to be 'something to get excited about'.
      I think in both of those cases, i would rather see native ports...btw, not everyone uses wine for transgaming and adobe, ya know. While i wouldn't necessarily use the word 'excited", sometimes if i bump into a nice patchset for Wine, or see some enhancement - im happy about that...

WINE is great if you wanna' play MMOs without GameGuard, or a pretty good breadth of single player games from a year or more ago. But as a real alternative to using Windows, it's got too many holes in compatibility to really work for the majority of gamers or professionals.
      It wouldn't matter even if Wine could do all of that stuff - the majority of Gamers and Professionals aren't using a linux desktop to begin with and Wine supporting Adobe wouldn't change that -> all it would do is stop a few users from dual-booting, not cause some mass exodus of Win users to linux.... Just as Valve Steam coming to Linux didn't cause even a marginal exodus;

* So as an alternative to Windows, Wine is not - but Wine is useful in a variety of ways: a). As a "stop-gap measure" it is extremely useful has been for many years and will continue to be -> Lightpipe (netflix in native web browser) is one example, Proaudio applications is another popular one). b). It can allow you to use the odd win app when you need too and/or to run legacy software. d) you can potentially have an app that can use both winAPIs and LinuxAPIs (winelib apps); Which there are a couple of, that i use daily... e). let's not forget that certain companies make commercial products using Wine... ie: Where Wine shines isn't "being an alternative to Windows".

That isn't to say that the WINE developers haven't done astoundingly good work against impossible odds. I used to love using WINE to get all kinds of software running on Linux. But with Steam coming around and Linux becoming a stronger platform, I'd rather advocate official channels to get apps on the platform. Not to mention it just feels nicer to have the majority of my apps using the same toolkit.
      Obviously, native ports is the goal and we'd all prefer to advocate that, but it doesn't really change the scope of Wine's continued usefulness to a variety of users, companies, etc in a variety of ways. (again, Wine supporting games 100% wouldn't change much; except you probably wouldn't have a native steam client, maybe....lol)

btw, You can theme Wine. - I've had very reasonable integration between Wine apps and my Gtk theme(s). It's doable, with the exception of if you are using oxygen-transparency in KDE or something (obviously your not getting RGBA backgrounds in Wine apps...lol).
      Last edited by ninez; 03 September 2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 123_qwe View Post
        Fyi http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...er/101106.html

Some really nice performance improvements coming along
        Wow, 50-100% faster performance!

Originally posted by ninez View Post
        That is exactly what i was thinking, when i read his comment. IE is one of the applications most tied to Windows, or rather close integration. Being as Wine only covers, what 75% or something and to have proper CIFS in wine, it's out-of-tree patches that are needed. (one example of missing functionality that IE probably wants)... Plus, who needs IE, when i got my trusty x64 "wine Internet Explorer"?...lol;
        1. Web developers who want to test their site in different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer).
        2. Lusers locked into shitty ActiveX crap and legacy proprietary applications.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          1. Web developers who want to test their site in different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer).
          2. Lusers locked into shitty ActiveX crap and legacy proprietary applications.
          erm, I know quite a few web developers - none of them would be using Wine + XYZ web browser to test websites. Even if Wine did support various versions of IE somewhat well <which it doesn't>~ there still would be issues, i'm guessing. No person in their right mind would use Wine over Windows to test IE. ~ That would just be "certified stupid"; as you would knowingly be testing in an environment that may not give an accurate representation of the content/website && possibly introduce undesired behaviors/bugs that you would be testing against (which prolly aren't in windows)... So i gotta ask; Does this come from your own web development experience? lol.

people tied into ActiveX + IE prolly aren't going to use Wine in most cases, for the same reason as your imaginary web developer scenario. it's possible there may be a corner case or two, but i doubt much beyond that...

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            So i gotta ask; Does this come from your own web development experience? lol.
            At home I develop on Linux.
            At work I develop on Windows.
            I use Firefox to develop, if there is any problems with Internet Explorer then I tell my boss that IE sucks and we can't do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              At home I develop on Linux.
              At work I develop on Windows.
              I use Firefox to develop, if there is any problems with Internet Explorer then I tell my boss that IE sucks and we can't do anything about it.
              Really, You must be either lazy or just a really shitty web developer, then... and while that may be 'all fine and good' < well, actually no - anyone i know would be making sure IE works perfectly, since it's a widely used browser> regardless; how the hell does this play into your original reply, claiming Web developers would want to use Internet Explorer Wine for Web development?

Like i said; You would have to have a certification in stupidity to think Wine + IE would be a good / accurate way to test web content.

Comment

Working...
              X