• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*COUGH* *COUGH* http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA0MjM

Comment

Originally posted by arashbm View Post
      You don't play games, do you?
      i doubt you find a game that demanding running in ARM for a while, is not like battefiled 4 will run on ubuntu phone anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        i doubt you find a game that demanding running in ARM for a while, is not like battefiled 4 will run on ubuntu phone anytime soon
        Well, that's not the point is it? I think the point is to avoid a catch22. An "If you build it they will come" type of thing.

Comment

Let the User Decide

I fail to understand why Linux doesn't let the user make the decision in low memory situations. How hard is it to just pause everything and display a dialog to the user letting him pick the application to kill/swap out/etc? This would be far more effective, and far easier to implement, than what Canonical is proposing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            Ah well, what does it matter? Half of Phoronix will find a way to bash this idea anyway just because it comes from Canonical.
            Nope, if they work with upstream, this would be a very useful and welcome feature. And yes, I did bash Unity and Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Well, that's not the point is it? I think the point is to avoid a catch22. An "If you build it they will come" type of thing.
              nope, ARM problem is not "OMG linux don't let me" or "OMG games will crash because linux is evil", the problem is more visceral and simple, ARM don't have the bandwith requirements to do so at hardware level, before anyone come yelling ARM is close to the raw performance of PS3 try upload an multiset of 720p+ texture in ARM and then try in a PS3 and you will understand why there is no grand turismo in Android/iOS

Comment

maybe future revision of ARM8 AArch64 will fix this tho

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  nope, ARM problem is not "OMG linux don't let me" or "OMG games will crash because linux is evil", the problem is more visceral and simple, ARM don't have the bandwith requirements to do so at hardware level, before anyone come yelling ARM is close to the raw performance of PS3 try upload an multiset of 720p+ texture in ARM and then try in a PS3 and you will understand why there is no grand turismo in Android/iOS
                  I never said anything about linux being evil, that's definitely not my opinion.

And of course it's not going to compete with the PS3, it has the same dedicate hardware for years and is thoroughly optimized. But, who said anything about competing with the PS3? It wasnt me. For example Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor with Adreno GPU is a decent gaming experience for a handset. It doesnt need to be 720p, it can simply be the native resolution of the screen. But games easily max out its available RAM. Any help in that department is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by fscan View Post
                    hmm .. as this can only be used with static or regenerateable data, whats the benefit over using a mmap()'ed file (readonly) and let the kernel cache do the magic?
                    Originally posted by movieman View Post
                    Why not just read from disk every time? If there's lots of free RAM, it will be in the disk cache, if not, the operating system can drop it from the disk cache automatically to make space.
                    Because it might not be on disk... it might be info that can be re-calculated if needed, but which can be kept in memory for improved performance. E.g a browser might be keeping some rendering/layout structures for tabs that aren't currently visible, to save time if the user switches to them. Easily regenerated if the cache has to be cleared, but keeping it saves a second or two when it's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      I never said anything about linux being evil, that's definitely not my opinion.

And of course it's not going to compete with the PS3, it has the same dedicate hardware for years and is thoroughly optimized. But, who said anything about competing with the PS3? It wasnt me. For example Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor with Adreno GPU is a decent gaming experience for a handset. It doesnt need to be 720p, it can simply be the native resolution of the screen. But games easily max out its available RAM. Any help in that department is acceptable.
                      well my point is gavick/java/.Net garbage collector punish very hard the RAM and the I/O and i can agree that android could starve ram like no tomorrow in more visual appelaing games with GPU that share RAM but in C++ would be a different story entirely since you can't just let object all over the place without survelaince and expect the garbage collector to deal with it. now if ubuntu is offering stuff like Mono/Java then would make more sense this idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X