Mono Project Continues Making Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Yes, user base. As for mono nono, there are just FEW mono apps available on Linux and they're joke compared to non mono counterparts. Who will ever bother with something like this? Furthermore, mono nono isn't .Net compatible. Get lost.
    It has been a while since I ran any desktop file indexers. In 2009 Beagle was fat, slow and used a lot of RAM. It was written in Mono. However, Tracker was slower, indexed fewer formats, and gave me more hassles than Beagle did. Tracker would go into infinite CPU loops, for example. Win for Mono there.

That desktop post-it note program whose name I can't remember was written in Mono. The anti-Mono zealots cloned it in C, which took them about four times as long to write. The result was indeed faster and used less RAM. But if you look at it in terms of programming time the original was a win for Mono because it was so easy to write.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by not .Net compatible. Last time I tried it in 2010, I was able to write a WinForms app that ran on Windows, Linux Mono on amd64 and Linux Mono on Itanium. I did have to be careful with what WinForms features I used but it did work.

Comment

Exactly Zan Lynx!!! You had to be careful with what WinForms features you used because WinForms has patents all over it!
      But for porting applications you also need to port the WinForms part!
      Very clear this is some kind of trojan horse. Just like pushing exFAT for embedded devices and pushing FAT file system into SD card standard

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
        Exactly Zan Lynx!!! You had to be careful with what WinForms features you used because WinForms has patents all over it!
        No I had to be careful because it wasn't all implemented and the Microsoft form designer kept trying to add incompatible features to the project.

As for patents and Mono see http://www.jprl.com/Blog/archive/dev...09/Jan-19.html

Comment

Comparing Java to C# is like comparing Linux to Windows. I personally feel it does not make sense. There are 100 reasons why to use the first and another 100 reasons to use the second. I can personally find more reasons to use Linux but I'm sure someone else will find more reasons to use Windows.

In other words, use what you need. IT is not a religion.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            Comparing Java to C# is like comparing Linux to Windows. I personally feel it does not make sense. There are 100 reasons why to use the first and another 100 reasons to use the second. I can personally find more reasons to use Linux but I'm sure someone else will find more reasons to use Windows.

In other words, use what you need. IT is not a religion.
            well.. they're actually rather comparable because they're the two big competing managed language frameworks, that derive from the same source and are starting out with the same goal: to Write a managed strongly and explicitly typed C-Like language that supports the common OOP paradigms.

What the difference really amounts to is that .NET and C# are what you'd get if you asked a C++ programmer to design a C-Like managed language with OOP paradigms and the compatibility with C inside the language wasn't a requirement. Java on the other hand is what you get when you have a control freak doing the designing, which I suppose is fine for the guy with OCD, but as someone who feels at home in C++ writing in Java is hell, whereas in C# I feel just at home, but until Qyoto comes properly online I wouldn't really consider writing GUI desktop applications in it (although I might look at Xwt if it gets a Qt backend) mostly because I run KDE and GTK3 themeing is broken if I use one of the theme engines that makes GTK look like the rest of my KDE/Qt applications, but works fine but looks out of place and ugly if I use adiwata or another actual GTK3 theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              What the difference really amounts to is that .NET and C# are what you'd get if you asked a C++ programmer to design a C-Like managed language with OOP paradigms and the compatibility with C inside the language wasn't a requirement. Java on the other hand is what you get when you have a control freak doing the designing, which I suppose is fine for the guy with OCD, but as someone who feels at home in C++ writing in Java is hell, whereas in C# I feel just at home
              I kind of see it the same way. I was well familiar with C and C++ but I never felt particularly married to them. (I have no real issues with them either, as opposed to something awful like PHP.) So when it came time to learn Java I just thought it was extraordinarily easy and simplistic (or maybe intuitive is the word I want here?). It came off as a "clean-room implementation" of OOP whereas C++ was kind of a hack-it-into-C approach. I see C# more as a continuation of C++ rather than something new and clean.

Other than Android I suspect my Java days are over. I'll probably never pick up C#.

Comment

I think mono is less bloated than java, more easy to use than c++ or c, and a language that can be implement on every OS. The only problem that I see, is that we need a framework for use mono with qt :/, gtk isn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  I think mono is less bloated than java, more easy to use than c++ or c, and a language that can be implement on every OS. The only problem that I see, is that we need a framework for use mono with qt :/, gtk isn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    That's what Qyoto is for, problem is... it's not really ready/usable yet, and I have no idea when it will be although admittedly I haven't asked in the related chatroom, and that's part of why I was asking about whether anyone knew if CppSharp would be of benefit to them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      That's what Qyoto is for, problem is... it's not really ready/usable yet, and I have no idea when it will be although admittedly I haven't asked in the related chatroom, and that's part of why I was asking about whether anyone knew if CppSharp would be of benefit to them or not.

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Qyoto
                      Qyoto comes from Smoke. Smoke takes a different from CppSharp. Unless they decide to dedicate a port to C# making use of CppSharp then it shouldn't really help.

Comment

Working...
                      X