No announcement yet.

Mono Project Continues Making Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.slideshare.net/migueldeic...y-space-2013/9 - Disable GC whenever you want .. try that with Java!!
    http://www.slideshare.net/migueldeic...-space-2013/20 - Experimenting with cool different programming paradign ... have that freshness with Java? Nope!
    http://www.slideshare.net/migueldeic...-space-2013/49 - Generate assembler from high level language .... Java? Pfffffffffff

There are many many many more examples. Mono/C# is cool and passionate, Java is boring and rotten. Java is not even open source - if you are running anything serious you are gonna install Oracle Java anyway as OpenJDK is lacking.

Comment

Awesome!

C# and .NET are awesome!
      As someone who has developed in both C# and Java, I can say that C# is superior to Java. You write much less code, and things are so much nicer.
      Also the .NET framework is much nicer than Java Class Library (JCL).
      And Visual Studio beats Eclipse out of the water.
      Also stuff like nuget is really nice.

Comment

Java and JDK are awesome!
        As someone who has developed in both C# and Java, I can say that Java is superior to C#. You write
        much less code, and things are so much nicer.
        Also the Java Class Library (JCL) is much nicer than the .NET framework.
        And Eclipse beats Visual Studio out of the water.
        Also stuff like Java FX is really nice.

FTFY

Comment

C# might be a great language, however I'll probably never use it. I can't feel safe using Mono on Linux - not after the years-long campaign Microsoft held (and still hold) against Linux vendors.

MS claimed that Linux is violating its patents and threatened to sue. How can I be assured they won't use some bogus C# patent to extort me? On the client side nobody uses C# anyway, and there are Python/Ruby/Jave etc on the server side. Why take a risk?

Comment

I prefer Java because it's less convoluted than C#, easier and more elegant and purer OOP . Hoewever, the strength of C# doesn't lie in the language itself but in it's .NET library. In java you usually have to draw upon third-party (in most cases open source) libraries to do the same.

Language wise, I've never found anything that I can't do in Java with it's simpler and easier to remember language constructs. The only thing I miss in Java is an easier way to interface with native libraries. I've never liked the JNI.

Comment

> MS claimed that Linux is violating its patents and threatened to sue.

True!

Mono is useful for Microsoft to avoid anti-trust trials and claim it's "multiplatform", but...
              can you use mono? and your friends? and your customers?

Beware of Microsoft's "property". It is patented.

So, who really cares if it's theoretically any good, when legally it is a threat for you?

Comment

Funny too see, how this quickly escalated into just another Java vs. C# (offtopic-)thread.

Btw. how many of you actually develop & deploy larger applications, which have to run seemlessly on several platforms at the same time? The amount of pro-C# voices here tells me, that it isn't the majority.

Comment

Too many replies at my post to bother replying to them all.
                  When I said crappy java clone, I was referring directly to the mono platform, not microsoft's .NET.
                  Mono is EXTREMELY obviously part of an Embrace, Extend, Extinguish move by Microsoft. It's classic Microsoft.

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                  Funny too see, how this quickly escalated into just another Java vs. C# (offtopic-)thread.

Btw. how many of you actually develop & deploy larger applications, which have to run seemlessly on several platforms at the same time? The amount of pro-C# voices here tells me, that it isn't the majority.
                  The company I worked at did, and by extension, I did. I'd go as far to say that unless someone like Jon Skeet is browsing phoronix right now, I have more knowledge/experience with the .NET platform than anyone else posting on this site.
                  mono is crap, and it's on purpose.

I'd wager money that there's some microsoft employees posting on phoronix.

p.s. C# is an okay language by itself, it's only great when combined with VS and tools like resharper which push it ahead of the competition productivity-wise, which is what you want when you have dozens of codemonkeys that you need to work fast.
                  Last edited by peppercats; 21 August 2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Miguel de Icaza is a fu*king moron and a profi troll. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      The company I worked at did, and by extension, I did.
                      Yes, I noticed. It's cool how you can easily determine, whether someone actually knows, what he's talking about or not in IT related stuff, just by the way how he talks about it.

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      p.s. C# is an okay language by itself, it's only great when combined with VS and tools like resharper which push it ahead of the competition productivity-wise, which is what you want when you have dozens of codemonkeys that you need to work fast.
                      I was about writing the same in a more detailed way, but that pretty much sums it up. Still, I wouldn't have called it great

Comment

Working...
                      X