X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by lequim View Post
    Thanks for point that out. Wine now is in a great development speed, and i think that in a few more years, 99% of windows apps will be perfectly emulated. And if the d3d 9 native implementation is a success i would definetely delete windows and stay forever in linux
    But now classic Win API is expanding slower, and the real stuff happening is the .NET Framework.

Also, with Steam on Linux and the games, Windows is losing relevance.
    Also smartphones and tablets are growing, so Windows is losing relevance.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Yeah I understood but my point is that it won't bring anywhere near enough performance to make the Gallium3D drivers competitive with NVIDIA/Catalyst. That doesn't mean it couldn't be very useful and bring notable improvement.
    With newer r600g drivers than Micheal uses in his reviews r600g is nearer to the performance of Catalyst. On my system right now for example I'm getting way better performance than Micheal is getting. I'd call it anywhere from 65% to 90% of the performance of Catalyst. And on 2d performance I'd call it about 250% the performance of Catalyst.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    He was referring to the gallium3d d3d9 state tracker and with wine patched appropriately to use it. I havent seen benchmarks yet and I still havent tried it for myself yet, but I'm almost finished with another project so I will be trying it out soon. Even with only a 50% performance gain over wines stock d3d9 it would be worth it.
    Yeah I understood but my point is that it won't bring anywhere near enough performance to make the Gallium3D drivers competitive with NVIDIA/Catalyst. That doesn't mean it couldn't be very useful and bring notable improvement.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    It's nowhere near that high. You don't suddently get 2-5x better performance without doing some huge, huge optimizations everywhere.
    He was referring to the gallium3d d3d9 state tracker and with wine patched appropriately to use it. I havent seen benchmarks yet and I still havent tried it for myself yet, but I'm almost finished with another project so I will be trying it out soon. Even with only a 50% performance gain over wines stock d3d9 it would be worth it.
    Last edited by duby229; 04 August 2013, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Why? No OpenGL translation overhead....
    It's nowhere near that high. You don't suddently get 2-5x better performance without doing some huge, huge optimizations everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Even though open source AMD drivers are slower than Catalyst at the moment, in wine with d3d gallium they will probably be faster. Why? No OpenGL translation overhead...

NVIDIA proprietary drivers will be left in dust in Wine...

Let's hope they will accept this... It is gallium-specific, yes, but it costs them nothing to include this...

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Benchmarks please. With AMD DPM on, using r600g with an Evergreen/Northern Islands card. Because the other benchmark here in this forum says otherwise (although I agree that it's not tested on Wine).
    This improvements only have importance into system but in wine done work

You have investigate on WineAPPDB from actual state from various apps on wine (especially games)

Im maintainer for wine since 1.1 versions and have tested wine in lastest 5 years on hardware ATI and NVIDIA in this years

this is my actual apps maintained (for see this you must be have register on wineappdb)

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=maintainerView&iId=168847 &sTitle=Your+Maintained+Apps

And this is my blog with my work register at this time

ATI has improvements (before ATI cards not have capable display SM3.0 games, actually works much more titles but performance and compatibility still far awaycompared to nvidia)

If you have wine with performance and compatibility, your only choice is nvidia with privative drivers

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
    But AMD privative and opensource drivers in compatibility and performance on wine sucks in this moment

Nvidia privative drivers is required if you want compatibility and performance on wine in this moment
    Benchmarks please. With AMD DPM on, using r600g with an Evergreen/Northern Islands card. Because the other benchmark here in this forum says otherwise (although I agree that it's not tested on Wine).

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    But there is AMD support
    But AMD privative and opensource drivers in compatibility and performance on wine sucks in this moment

Nvidia privative drivers is required if you want compatibility and performance on wine in this moment
    Last edited by pinguinpc; 03 August 2013, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    Without NVIDIA or AMD/ATI support its useless.
    But there is AMD support

Leave a comment:

Working...
X