Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    far as i know there is a Patch for it on the wine forums
    OK, thanks. I'll be going through and trying to get that setup tonight I think. I have a gentoo system installed with the latest 1.6 version of wine installed. I have a working version of Eve Online and Star Trek Online. Steam client for Windows is also installed and working where the only Valve title I own is HL2. Which works perfectly. Eve works very good except for some frame drops occurring during the process of going to warp or coming out of warp. Star Trek is got some performance issues, but otherwise plays very well. HL2 performance is damn good.

Other games that I've tried but dont work correctly include Skyrim, Civ V, and Supreme Commander. Skyrim crashes during the game load. Civ V seems to work flawlessly with the exception that the ground textures are missing, they just show up black. Supreme Commander seems to load, I can hear the background music as if the game is running, but it just loads a black screen and clicking around randomly doesnt seem to do anything.

According to the report made these games should all work with these d3d9 patches. I'm very interested to try it out.
    Last edited by duby229; 02 August 2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

API coverage

Wine implements 74% of the Windows API.

Only 2% of d3d11 though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Wine implements 74% of the Windows API.

Only 2% of d3d11 though.
        Thanks for point that out. Wine now is in a great development speed, and i think that in a few more years, 99% of windows apps will be perfectly emulated. And if the d3d 9 native implementation is a success i would definetely delete windows and stay forever in linux

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          What are the most important parts missing in Wine?
          d3d11
          almost no games will release with d3d9 support shortly anyways, it's dead.
          many bigger games are already releasing d3d11-only.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            They didn't accept the original DX11 code because it was Linux specific and Wine/CodeWeavers has to work on Linux, BSD and Mac. Its not that they just said "No screw you"
            But that's not a direct reason, is it? I mean, it's just another feature like "If the platform supports dx11 then use it, if not use whatever wine has". A direct reason would be that it'd be too much work maintaining all this.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              But that's not a direct reason, is it? I mean, it's just another feature like "If the platform supports dx11 then use it, if not use whatever wine has". A direct reason would be that it'd be too much work maintaining all this.
              Yeah, with Xbox One, DirectX 11 will be more important.

I guess Wine could need better 64-bit support and mixed 32/64-bit support.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                skyrim crashes during the game load. Civ V seems to work flawlessly with the exception that the ground textures are missing, they just show up black. Supreme Commander seems to load, I can hear the background music as if the game is running, but it just loads a black screen and clicking around randomly doesnt seem to do anything.

According to the report made these games should all work with these d3d9 patches. I'm very interested to try it out.
                Skyrim at least should work fine with vanilla wine. I can't speak for Supreme Commander, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  Nothing about input? In wine 1.5.13 raw input worked well, in 1.6 it works, but mouse warp doesn't work anymore in at least Risen, so you can only rotate about 360 degree before hitting the edge of the window.
                  I had no problems at all with minecraft using wine, you could turn 360+ degree without any problem. Although in this and some other games, if you move the mouse too fast it can get out of the window and get released from the game. Happened to me both in minecraft and KaM but only in windowed mode.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                    If they're not accepting FOSS d3d9 drivers in WINE, then they're pulling a Sun Microsystems. Maybe WINE is being turned into the next MySQL? A fork would also allow for a rebranding.. How much of WINE is from codeweavers vs community contributors?
                    you should relax a bit, if you really trying to compare codeweavers to sun microsystems then you need some new perspectives. As for how much wine is from codeweavers and how much from the community, no idea, but I as a community member with little programming knowledge support wine development by supporting codeweavers and I am happy I do, they do a lot for wine and I doubt wine would be where it is now without them.

Comment

Well if you consider the amount of games that don't even use directx 10 yet, still lots of games coming out that only use 9 it won't be that long before wine actually becomes truely awesome, especially for older titles.

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com

Comment

Working...
                      X