Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 File-System Shows Decent Performance On Linux 3.10

Phoronix: Reiser4 File-System Shows Decent Performance On Linux 3.10

With quite some time having passed since we last benchmarked the Reiser4 file-system, to end out July we have some fresh benchmarks of Reiser4 from the newly released patches for the Linux 3.10 kernel. There's fairly good performance out of the experimental file-system when compared to the original ReiserFS as well as EXT4, Btrfs, and XFS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ask myself if breiser

I still ask myself if a striped down btrfs
    (called for example breiser)
    would have
    - all the man-powered performance
    - all the kernel.org demanded code stylishness
    and be essentially a true reiser4 filesystem
    as the underlying technique is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ulenrich View Post
      I still ask myself if a striped down btrfs
      (called for example breiser)
      would have
      - all the man-powered performance
      - all the kernel.org demanded code stylishness
      and be essentially a true reiser4 filesystem
      as the underlying technique is the same.
      It wouldn't kill your data with style.

Comment

So, Reiser4 won all non-synthetic tests

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          It wouldn't kill your data with style.

But sincerely I think any mildly skilled developer could earn huge merit in the linux community by simply cutting the btrfs code.

Comment

Why test an out of tree driver that basically everyone already wrote off ?
            Yes it once was very promising and possibly ahead of it's time, and i used it a lot back then, but even back then it was already quite a pain to keep up to date. Then the stuff with Hans started and it soon became even more painful so i jumped ship.
            No one will ever start using it again unless it gains more development power, becomes part of the default kernel and possibly even a name change.

Why try and keep pushing something that everyone already wrote off and ignore the next big thing time and time again (ZFS). I seriously don't understand.

Comment

Working...
            X