Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.11-rc3 Kernel Brings In Many More Patches

Phoronix: Linux 3.11-rc3 Kernel Brings In Many More Patches

The third release candidate is out for the Linux 3.11 kernel and it incorporates many more patches -- too many more than Linus Torvalds would prefer at this time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"It's summer. It's nice outside. Take the kids to the pool or something."
    If I was a kernel hacker, I would tell Linus that summer is way too hot and no sane person has kids.*

*If someone was sane when they had kids, they're certainly not after a few years of having them.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      If I was a kernel hacker, I would tell Linus that summer is way too hot and no sane person has kids.*

*If someone was sane when they had kids, they're certainly not after a few years of having them.
      My grandmother says that: "Your kid and your dog will behave as you teach them".

BTW is the radeon DPM expected to be enabled by default on a subsequent rc or with the next kernel?

Comment

Shoutout

This release properly fixes the Backlight on the Dell XPS13z (Sandy Bridge and Ivy bridge) as well as an Acer Aspire model that all had non-functioning backlights.

From the release announcement:

Kamal Mostafa (1):
        drm/i915: quirk no PCH_PWM_ENABLE for Dell XPS13 backlight
        Big thanks to Kamal for supplying the fix, as well as being open to start working on this again when Daniel and I started poking him about it lol
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

uname -a
          Linux desktop 3.11.0-031100rc3-generic #201307290035 SMP Mon Jul 29 04:36:40 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Working absolutely fantastic. I even gained 3MB/s in disk transfer speeds with -rc3, weird.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            BTW is the radeon DPM expected to be enabled by default on a subsequent rc or with the next kernel?
            It would be logical if it was only in the next kernel. They need people to test it, and there are people who are willing to test features that are under a kernel switch, but are not willing to compile/download the -rc versions of the kernel.

Comment

Still hard lockup when disabling the HD 7970M with vgaswitcheroo, even without dpm enabled.

How much longer must I use a stable kernel?!

Comment

backlight

backlight regression with this version, rc2 works rc3 not works for me

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                  backlight regression with this version, rc2 works rc3 not works for me
                  Who's your GPU vendor? Laptop Model?
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Who's your GPU vendor? Laptop Model?
                    asus k56cb intel with optimus, where i do bug report?

Comment

Working...
                    X