Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Kills Off Its C++ Standard Library

Phoronix: Apache Kills Off Its C++ Standard Library

The Apache Software Foundation has decided to end its Apache C++ Standard Library (stdcxx) project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm all for competition..but why was this needed? The project i mean. GCC has a C++ implementation, LLVM has a C++ Implementation, there's probably a c++ implementation out there for embedded. It doesnt seem like it filled any niche except for those who hated both GCC AND LLVM.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      I'm all for competition..but why was this needed? The project i mean. GCC has a C++ implementation, LLVM has a C++ Implementation, there's probably a c++ implementation out there for embedded. It doesnt seem like it filled any niche except for those who hated both GCC AND LLVM.
      Yep, that sounds like wasted efforts.

Comment

Open-Source Projects Rely on Popularity

I hate it when celebrity programmers will act like their own workflow equals one thousand people's workflows. If a project has very few supporters, a lot of competition, and nothing really innovative coming out of it then the project doesn't have a use for a big organization like Apache. I'm sure Bergstr?m will try and drum up support for something that barely anyone cared about.

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
          I hate it when celebrity programmers will act like their own workflow equals one thousand people's workflows. If a project has very few supporters, a lot of competition, and nothing really innovative coming out of it then the project doesn't have a use for a big organization like Apache. I'm sure Bergstr?m will try and drum up support for something that barely anyone cared about.
          Well, as long as he works on it, he's free to scratch his own itch. But he shouldn't expect others to support it.

Comment

Proper c++11 support will require a bit of work. It's not exactly trivial to retool a library for it. And c++11 is extremely popular. There are TONS of follks out there very upset with MS about their poor c++11 support, more than a few have dumped msvc for mingw.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
              more than a few have dumped msvc for mingw.
              I'm not seeing that happen, especially since MS has declared that full c++11 and then 14 support are high priority for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                LLVM probably didn't exist when this was written. Even when Apache took it over as an open-source project in 2005, LLVM wasn't the big deal it is now, not really catching on until after Apple adopted it. And 2005 was simply the date the code was released - presumably the project was created long before...

Comment

Apache isn't stupid: The future is libc++/libc++abi.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                    Proper c++11 support will require a bit of work. It's not exactly trivial to retool a library for it. And c++11 is extremely popular. There are TONS of follks out there very upset with MS about their poor c++11 support, more than a few have dumped msvc for mingw.
                    There was no releases since 2008, I doubt there is any C++11 support on the killed library.
                    Also, want to know who are upset with MS? The ones who didn't get support for C99. Now that's shitty support.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    LLVM probably didn't exist when this was written. Even when Apache took it over as an open-source project in 2005, LLVM wasn't the big deal it is now, not really catching on until after Apple adopted it. And 2005 was simply the date the code was released - presumably the project was created long before...
                    Correct, but that doesn't change the fact that there is no need for it now, so maintaining it would be a wasted effort.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Apache isn't stupid: The future is libc++/libc++abi.
                    I don't really understand your post, but if I'm correct, you misread the article: Apache is killing their implementation, and IMO they're right doing so, because even when I agree that the future is C/C++ based the same way it was for years, we already have two good implementations of it, there's no need for another one. We probably have even more from the several smaller compilers.
                    Last edited by mrugiero; 18 July 2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X