X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    I'm worried that this "too big" mantra will have negative effects. The devs might have the perverse incentive to hold back and not contribute as aggressively. Linus should seriously consider hiring a helper. (which is kinda stupid since they are already other people on the kernel team)
    This isn't about Linus being overworked - this is about developers pushing big changes late in the cycle. Once the first Release Candidate goes out, the only patches being accepted should be bug fixes, not new development work, and definitely not code cleanup.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    I'm worried that this "too big" mantra will have negative effects. The devs might have the perverse incentive to hold back and not contribute as aggressively. Linus should seriously consider hiring a helper. (which is kinda stupid since they are already other people on the kernel team)
    That doesn't make sense. All changes, big or small, are welcome every couple months when the merge window rolls around. They should just be held off during the RC phase when the point is to stabilize the kernel and ship it.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Not in the slightest. It's Linus' job to make sure the devs hold back. -rc releases should be stable, bug fixes only, and the features go into the next kernel during the merge window.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• frign
    replied
    Never break the userspace.

For my liking, there have been to many changes to the Kernel in the 3.9 release. It messed up my Intel KMS in the framebuffer (false colors) using EFI Stub-Booting. I definitely hope for it to be fixed soon and that, as Linus puts it, the developers check their changes more thoroughly before releasing them to the public.

"Never break the userspace."

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    Absolutely. If Linus does not want to accept the patches, then reject them, but don't say things like that because not everyone likes that kind of stuff. He is becoming way too egocentric.
    First he was always egocentric so there is no change. Secondly I think thats more a joke in this case.

As a developer If I had the choice I would rather get said please send less patches from now on, and my work gets accepted, but I can remerge my complete work again in a month against a very different codebase 3.11. and try to seperate the stuff I can integrate and that I dont.

I know that is not impossible and git is great...

2 weeks merge window is very short, its more or less normal that such stuff happens.

Leave a comment:

• wargames
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaz` View Post
    I would also be annoyed if I was maintainer and people sent patches that aren't bug fixes in rc. I would say mothers and living pets are fair game, but dead hamsters may be pushing the limits of established courtesy.
    Absolutely. If Linus does not want to accept the patches, then reject them, but don't say things like that because not everyone likes that kind of stuff. He is becoming way too egocentric.

Leave a comment:

• Qaz`
    replied
    I would also be annoyed if I was maintainer and people sent patches that aren't bug fixes in rc. I would say mothers and living pets are fair game, but dead hamsters may be pushing the limits of established courtesy.
    Last edited by Qaz`; 09 June 2013, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Got to love those announcements

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Linux 3.10-rc5 Kernel Continues A Worrying Trend

Linux 3.10-rc5 Kernel Continues A Worrying Trend

Phoronix: Linux 3.10-rc5 Kernel Continues A Worrying Trend

The fifth release candidate to the Linux 3.10 kernel is now available. Unfortunately, the changes merged in the past week continue to be too great to be to Torvalds' liking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X