No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it still have so much latency when not using HT?

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      Pulseaudio is a great piece of software.

bla bla bla bla
      Right. feawfeaw

Comment

Now we need the likes of KDE to allow easy mixing of record channels. Example GUI for mixing or choosing the record channels per program or base desktop. It's pathetic in some programs where you're trying to figure out /dev/ device socket and in many cases non are manifest.

Comment

Seriously?

I honestly can't tell if you guys are being serious or not. I have had at least five different Audio Cards and all of them worked just fine with Pulse. Everything from a Fortissimo 3 to MAudio 7.1 and way back to a Soundblaster PCI 512.

Sometimes, if you have Audio Issues, try moving your Sound Card to a different slot on your Mobo. I have found that usually resolves the issues. Also try to set things up with alsamixer from the terminal. Hey Bo$$, go back to Neowin and stop trolling.

Comment

The question rather is: Will it blend?

Comment

My biggest complaint is that the hardware volume buttons of my usb headset change the master volume instead of the headphone volume. I can't file a bug because I really don't know where to track the problem, if it is related to gnome-settings-daemon or pulseaudio.
              My headset sends volume up/down keypresses and my mixer uses those for whatever the default channel is. I fix this on my headset by setting the headset as the fallback device (default device) when I plug it in.

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              The question is: Will now the sound in linux be almost as good as in windows? Are we there yet? Or almost there yet?
              We hit that a couple years ago. They still can't do things like transparently move streams between channels, split/join channels, or send audio over the network. In addition, it is much easier to get consistant low latency and Jack blows away anything available on the Windows platform for pro-audio. Every time I use windows I wonder why they still haven't gotten it at least close to feature parity with Pulse.

Comment

My biggest complaint is that the hardware volume buttons of my usb headset change the master volume instead of the headphone volume. I can't file a bug because I really don't know where to track the problem, if it is related to gnome-settings-daemon or pulseaudio.
                As an end user, you can file a bug with your distribution's bug tracking system. As long as they're not ubuntu, they'll either fix it (if it is a real bug) and push the patch upstream, or communicate the bug to the appropriate upstream for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  I honestly can't tell if you guys are being serious or not. I have had at least five different Audio Cards and all of them worked just fine with Pulse. Everything from a Fortissimo 3 to MAudio 7.1 and way back to a Soundblaster PCI 512.

Sometimes, if you have Audio Issues, try moving your Sound Card to a different slot on your Mobo. I have found that usually resolves the issues. Also try to set things up with alsamixer from the terminal. Hey Bo$$, go back to Neowin and stop trolling.
                  I don't use a dedicated sound card (and haven't used one for years), PA works fine too. But again, you get noticeable latency if you're not using HT.

Comment

On my netbook killing pulseaudio was the difference between mumble taking 75% vs 25% of the available cpu. I saw similar although not as dramatic results when killing pulseaudio on an athlonII x4 I was using for a recording appliance. And the sound worked better off with it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      PA simply does not offer a single benefit for me over pure ALSA.
                      Perhaps you are one of the lucky few that are able to get audio mixing directly from your hardware. Unless I am mistaken for everyone else the software mixing is the only option then...

Comment

Working...
                      X