No announcement yet.

Handbrake 0.9.9 Supports OpenCL Offloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope 1.0 will support WebM with VP9 and Opus.

Comment

Combined with accelerated video decoding, it makes sense to offload more stuff to the GPU. This way all CPU cycles can be devoted to encoding, and the bus traffic is minimal. Handbrake would only need to push the compressed source video data to the GPU and would read back cropped and scaled frames, and encode these. I'm sure that is what it is doing...? The release notes aren't very clear about it.
      Last edited by brent; 21 May 2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
        People are not reading the announcement very carefully.
        1. HandBrake OpenCL is Beta
        2. It's not in the 0.9.9 release

As a rule, HandBrake doesn't release major features till they work on *all* platforms we claim to support (windows, osx, linux). So when it's ready, it should be working on all. Intel QuickSync is also in the pipeline.

Here's the actual announcements if you care to get it from the source http://handbrake.fr/news.php
        Interesting you would say openCL 1.2 and NVidia in the notes. NVidia as of right now only supports 1.1. What 1.2 features are being used (if any).

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          It would be nice to see some benchmarks. It seems that the supported operations are cropping and scaling.

Given that the PCI transfer is extremely expensive, and scaling and cropping rather cheap operations, I'm surprised that this is worthwhile.

On the other hand, it's probably just a first step, with more complex operations planned in the future.
          It actually makes sense, especially for AMD whose future APU architectures will have shared CPU/GPU memory addressing. Currently, although they share physical memory, there's still a copy involved.

Like you said, it makes less sense for discrete graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            It would be nice to see some benchmarks. It seems that the supported operations are cropping and scaling.

Given that the PCI transfer is extremely expensive, and scaling and cropping rather cheap operations, I'm surprised that this is worthwhile.

On the other hand, it's probably just a first step, with more complex operations planned in the future.
            Well, just tried a couple of encodes on my 8350/titan system. Didn't make a whole lot of difference on a quality based encode, resized from 1080 to 720 with cropping. With openCL 20m32s, without openCL 20m3 seconds. It was using the Titan but barely, gpu load never exceeded 9%. Now QuickSync accelerated on the other hand......6m5s
            Last edited by deanjo; 21 May 2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              With openCL 20m32s, without openCL 20m3 seconds. It was using the Titan but barely, gpu load never exceeded 9%.
              Maybe because OpenCL is always second class citizen on nVidia hardware? Example: http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewt...hp?f=17&t=9646

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                Maybe because OpenCL is always second class citizen on nVidia hardware? Example: http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewt...hp?f=17&t=9646
                Not really, results are just as unspectacular on AMD cards in handbrake.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Not really, results are just as unspectacular on AMD cards in handbrake.
                  I suspect this is really meant for AMD's upcoming HSA architecture that integrates the GPU more closely in the CPU.

I think they're supposed to come out later this year, and this will give AMD a benchmark to point to which shows them beating out Intel.

Comment

If i remember correctly the OpenCL Part is only for the lookahead and that is not really important, but the DXVA decoder brings a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                      You have to transfer the video to the graphics card anyway because of the connection to the display.

The most optimal way would be to load the video into the graphics card memory and decode, composite and post-process on the graphics card. The graphics card is much better suited for graphics calculations and it frees the CPU for other tasks.
                      AppGeeker handle this job well, tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X