QEMU 1.5 Supports VGA Passthrough, Better USB 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    VT-d is extremely common. The version of VT-d that supports IOMMU is not, and IOMMU is required for GPU passthrough:

This list is relatively small. Albeit, the motherboard sections are a bit incomplete. My motherboard is one of the only AMD desktop boards with IOMMU support and it isn't on this list (890FX chipset).
    And look at all of those non-Xeon Intel CPUs (which is what I think the person you quoted was really refuting).

This is pretty exciting. Xen will probably have something similar soon. I couldn't ever get my setup working with Xen (Intel 3770 non-K) but with the amount of work involved - hammering away at the kernel parameters, rebooting, trying again, discovering yet another configuration file to edit, reboot, try again, discovering that grub2 didn't properly build the new grub.cfg, etc - something much more simple is always welcome. I might have to switch over to QEMU from Xen just to give it a shot.

Comment

VT-d is extremely common. The version of VT-d that supports IOMMU is not, and IOMMU is required for GPU passthrough:

This list is relatively small. Albeit, the motherboard sections are a bit incomplete. My motherboard is one of the only AMD desktop boards with IOMMU support and it isn't on this list (890FX chipset).
      Eh? I've never seen anyone making a distinction like that. The IOMMU page says that VT-d is a specification of IOMMU, so how can something support VT-d and not support IOMMU? And yes, the list is clearly incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Finding a motherboard that really supports it is a pain.
        I have 4 motherboards here all with IOMMU mode and it doesn't work on any of them.
        Same here, I have gone through 3 motherboards with iommu support but it doesnt actually work. A bios update for my asus sabertooth 990fx finally got it working.

@sonicspectre
        Well the only way to divide GPU power between a VM is through the old method of creating a virtual GPU, which we all know is limiting and doesn't perform all that great.

One of the only ones? Ive never seen a high-end amd board recently that didnt support it. All of the 990fx series do that Ive seen, the problem is getting it to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Eh? I've never seen anyone making a distinction like that. The IOMMU page says that VT-d is a specification of IOMMU, so how can something support VT-d and not support IOMMU? And yes, the list is clearly incomplete.
          Rather than blindly disagreeing with me thinking that all VT-d based systems support IOMMU, I'd really like to see you try getting just plain PCI passthrough working on a Core 2 system on any VM. IOMMU is NOT just a CPU feature.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 21 May 2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Can someone post a walk-though or a guide on how to get setup KVM with VGA Passthrough? I've got a 2nd video card and would finally like to get rid of Wine

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
              Can someone post a walk-though or a guide on how to get setup KVM with VGA Passthrough? I've got a 2nd video card and would finally like to get rid of Wine

Comment

Rather than blindly disagreeing with me thinking that all VT-d based systems support IOMMU, I'd really like to see you try getting just plain PCI passthrough working on a Core 2 system on any VM. IOMMU is NOT just a CPU feature.
                Blindly? Again, you didn't provide any reason for that to be the case. And I don't have such a system (the one Core 2 I do have doesn't have VT-d to begin with). What philip550c says makes sense, though, in that some motherboards have buggy firmware that doesn't actually enable the feature. But it doesn't mean that there are different versions of VT-d, some of which are not IOMMU.

Comment

What are you talking about? I have an i5-3470, and it supports VT-d. It's fairly high-end, but by far not uncommon, and definitely not a Xeon. Other processors that support it are i5-3550, i5-3330, i5-2500... Heck, even a i5-680 supports it. It's not uncommon in the slightest.

I also have a MSI B75A-G43 motherboard, and guess what, it supports VT-d as well. Even some Core 2 motherboards support it. So it's again not uncommon, although it's true that it's usually not advertised that much.
                  I have to concede here. On closer inspection VT-d is more common that I though. But the later posts show that it's not so simple. I still maintain that it's very hard to pick a CPU-MB combo and be reasonably sure in advance that it will work. And I wouldn't trust it on a non-Xeon setup. Even on Xeon I wonder if there's any difference between the E3, E5 and E7 lines WRT VT-d feature set.

Comment

Blindly? Again, you didn't provide any reason for that to be the case. And I don't have such a system (the one Core 2 I do have doesn't have VT-d to begin with). What philip550c says makes sense, though, in that some motherboards have buggy firmware that doesn't actually enable the feature. But it doesn't mean that there are different versions of VT-d, some of which are not IOMMU.
                    schmidtbag IS correct.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                      schmidtbag IS correct.
                      By all means, give me an explanation. Or a source of the claim.

Comment

Working...
                      X