Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Kernel Vulnerability Exploited

Phoronix: New Linux Kernel Vulnerability Exploited

Last month it was the X.Org Server with a noted security vulnerability and now this time around it's the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Time to update my 3.8.6 kernel.

Comment

Just updated to 3.8.12.
      And...it's interesting that Red Hat backported the bug...

Comment

It seems that the increasing linux popularity is bringing many of the risks which Windows suffer.

I hope this trend of vulnerabilities always get fixed on time and a new era of linux viruses, worms, trojans, etc... don't fall on us.

Comment

These kind of things... History has taugh us again and again that software is inherently buggy (insecure?); it is simply to many 'variables' that it is virtually imposible to escape this reality. It doesn't matter how much effort is put on design, it doesn't matter whether it is Linux, Windows, Solaris, BSD, MINIX, Plan 9, AIX, MULTICS, it doesn't matter if it is 'direct' or managed code...
          I think that shifting away from this (apparently) natural issue about software in general requires something radical and essentially new. I hope to be able to see such thing materialize.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
            I think that shifting away from this (apparently) natural issue about software in general requires something radical and essentially new. I hope to be able to see such thing materialize.
            Yes, like having package manager and being opensource, very *radical* : )

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              It seems that the increasing linux popularity is bringing many of the risks which Windows suffer.

I hope this trend of vulnerabilities always get fixed on time and a new era of linux viruses, worms, trojans, etc... don't fall on us.
              I would think secret services and cyber defense/war agencies are interested that operating systems are kept vulnerable. No matter if it's Linux, Windows, OS X or any popular smartphone OS.

What if Microsoft, Oracle, Google, perhaps even Red Hat etc are infiltrated by CIA, NSA or cyber security agencies? And why would we think that they aren't.

(related: The Flame Virus ? Have the CIA and NSA Infiltrated Microsoft?, Special Report: U.S. cyberwar strategy stokes fear of blowback)

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Yes, like having package manager and being opensource, very *radical* : )
                The way OSS works helps people discover and fix vulnerabilities much faster than closed source OS (Windows)

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  The way OSS works helps people discover and fix vulnerabilities much faster than closed source OS (Windows)
                  This is true, DeepDayze. However, how many people ACTUALLY look at the code? Maybe the community is too confident about this, that ultimately there is hardly any practical difference between the open source vs closed source model when it comes to security.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                    This is true, DeepDayze. However, how many people ACTUALLY look at the code? Maybe the community is too confident about this, that ultimately there is hardly any practical difference between the open source vs closed source model when it comes to security.
                    people inside novell and redhat do, they are paid to do it

not to mention the uncountable independent contractors hired for managing code

the code is being looked at

Comment

Working...
                    X