DRM Moves Ahead With HTML5 Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
    What if it is worth 1 cent to me, but no one wants to give it to me for 1 cent, even though that would not cost them anything? Essentially they do not want to take my money.
    And they do not want to allow those who have little money to enjoy their cultural works.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
      And they do not want to allow those who have little money to enjoy their cultural works.
      The producers might love for everybody to be able to enjoy their cultural works, but they do have costs to cover (salaries etc.). Nobody is obliged to sell you something for the price you deem right.

Comment

• So here we are, 10 pages of comments later, and the only debate is about what is right and what is wrong?
        People, this is the time for action : DRM in HTML; we need to stop it. But how.
        For now I signed the petition, I boycott all DRMed content but I have no idea of what more I could do.

I buy my PC games. (from GOG because DRM-free is more important to me than linux support). I buy the music I really like on physical support, because I refuse to download DRM infested lossy-encoded files.

So the question is : How do we stop this from happening?

Comment

• Originally posted by archibald View Post
          The producers might love for everybody to be able to enjoy their cultural works, but they do have costs to cover (salaries etc.). Nobody is obliged to sell you something for the price you deem right.
          I assume you did not read the study which was sponsored by the music industry and which showed that piracy does not cost the producers anything: The people who pirate pay more money. And that?s the money which pays the salaries, not the imaginary profits you would get if everyone who cannot affort to buy your work would buy it for your price.

That settles it for me: Until you aknowledge the basic empirical results, this discussion is pointless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            So here we are, 10 pages of comments later, and the only debate is about what is right and what is wrong?
            People, this is the time for action : DRM in HTML; we need to stop it. But how.
            For now I signed the petition, I boycott all DRMed content but I have no idea of what more I could do.

I buy my PC games. (from GOG because DRM-free is more important to me than linux support). I buy the music I really like on physical support, because I refuse to download DRM infested lossy-encoded files.

So the question is : How do we stop this from happening?
            I don’t know. The only ideas I currently have left are “vote for pirates or greens”, or they are illegal and likely contraproductive…

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              You mean like with the background check for gun purchases in the USA, where the lobbyists prevented those checks against the will of a very large percentage of the population? That didn't work very well, I would think.
              Unrelated but I have to jump in on this one- this is complete and total fabrication brought out by the establishment media and administration.

1) The percentage of the population supporting additional gun control (of any kind) was around 50%.
              2) The USA is a Republic, not a Democracy. The will of the majority cannot steal the rights of the minority.
              3) The only "gun lobby" in this country ARE the citizens of the USA. It was because of thousands of phone calls, petitions and threats to vote the politicians out of office that stopped gun control. We vote for the people who support gun rights, and vote against those who are against gun rights.
              4) The "Background checks" bill is a LIE. The bill in reality required the registration of firearms and that was unacceptable to a populace that was increasingly skeptical of their government. Regardless of what you believe, the DHS purchase of 2 billion bullets, 7000 armored personnel carriers didn't help win confidence.
              5) No statistics in the US were in favor of any new gun control
              6) None of the proposed legislation would have had any effect on any of the recent mass shootings, and the people knew it.

There is a reason that the Obama administration, who had a seemingly unassailable political prowess ran into a 3 ft thick concrete wall on this, and that is because the people did not agree with their viewpoints. The administration thought they could shamelessly use victims of tragedy to accomplish a political agenda that truly mattered to the population. There's Boston, LA, and Chicago, but then there's the REST of America that doesn't believe in the state and will not as readily give up their rights. Think what you may of guns, but to position gun control schemes as a just cause thwarted by lobbyists is not also grossly incorrect, but it is dismissive of the massive grass roots effort, by the people, to kill it in the senate.
              Last edited by kazetsukai; 20 May 2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                Unrelated but I have to jump in on this one- this is complete and total fabrication brought out by the establishment media and administration.
                4) The "Background checks" bill is a LIE. The bill in reality required the registration of firearms and that was unacceptable to a populace that was increasingly skeptical of their government. Regardless of what you believe, the DHS purchase of 2 billion bullets, 7000 armored personnel carriers didn't help win confidence.
                Citation please, show me where this is a 'LIE'.
                6) None of the proposed legislation would have had any effect on any of the recent mass shootings, and the people knew it.
                Citation needed

Also, consider Australia. They have effectively banned carrying loaded weapons unless you're hunting or at a shooting range, and violent gun crime has been reduced dramatically.
                There has been a national registry and there have been background checks on all arms purchases for years without any ill effects.
                And before you cite what the NRA babbles about with unrelated increases in crime in other areas, read this article about how they cherrypicked those statistics.
                The Sandy Hook massacre and President Obama’s response to it has refocused attention on impact of regulation on American gun crime. Crime statistics before and after the implementation of gun laws provide…

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                  Citation please, show me where this is a 'LIE'.
                  I'm not your babysitter. Do your own search, it isn't hard. You may merely examine the bill itself, which is public record.
                  Notably, a report by the FBI also showed that "background checks" (for private sales) would only be effective when combined with registration. Also, not hard to find. You're just not looking for it, you're looking for counter-proof and finding it on MSNBC.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                  Also, consider Australia.
                  I might as well consider Japan, which never had a gun culture to begin with. Australia traded "gun violence" for non-gun violence and rape. Why don't you consider Switzerland? The answer to this one is obvious: The US is not Australia. What works there, doesn't necessarily work here, and we have both a tradition and right to gun ownership. A right which the state has no authority to regulate, regardless how how much they pretend they do. Again, we are a Republic.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                  And before you cite what the NRA babbles about with unrelated increases in crime in other areas, read this article about how they cherrypicked those statistics.
                  I don't use NRA sources, I use what they use for sources, which are FBI crime statistics IN AMERICA. Try comparing Chicago (handguns are effectively banned) to Austin, there's no contest.

And again, regardless of what the sub-human politician scumbags in the White House, or the victims of tragedy they paraded on television think about guns, the people of America obviously disagree. If you want gun control, do it at the state level where it belongs, don't do it on a federal or international level. Background checks are already in place and facilitated by NICS, which the government is known to abuse. America remains skeptical about government in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                    I'm not your babysitter. Do your own search, it isn't hard.
                    You stated that the bill was a lie, which means the burden of proof is on you to show that it is a lie.

Comment

• And now we're on to the gun debate. Next up will be the fulfilment of Godwin's Law.

Comment

Working...
                      X