Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs In Linux 3.10 Gets Skinny Extents, Quota Rebuilds

Phoronix: Btrfs In Linux 3.10 Gets Skinny Extents, Quota Rebuilds

The Btrfs file-system pull request by Chris Wilson has been submitted for inclusion into the Linux 3.10 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Btrfs In Linux 3.10 Gets Skinny Extents, Quota Rebuilds

The Btrfs file-system pull request by Chris Wilson has been submitted for inclusion into the Linux 3.10 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2OTI
    Chris Wilson???

Should be Chris Mason.
    Last edited by jwilliams; 09 May 2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I've been hearing about BTRFS for years, but it seems it is not fully stable, yet they throw new features with each kernel version... am I missing something ?

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        I've been hearing about BTRFS for years, but it seems it is not fully stable, yet they throw new features with each kernel version... am I missing something ?
        Not really, people work on what they want to work on. Someone on the dev team is gonna be OCD about fixing every bug, for someone else apparently the extents tree was too big for their uses / likes so they changed it, for someone else apparently quotas weren't working quite right so they changed them. All of the major issues about BTRFS have been worked out, im running it on my home server and the only thing that bugs me is there's no fsck.btrfs (but there is btrfsck) and grub-mkconfig freaks out about btrfs being split over two drives but it still properly makes the grub.cfg and boots just fine.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Its not stable?
          I've been running it for a year without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
            Its not stable?
            The question is: have you found it to be better than ext4 ?

Comment

In my experience, definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
                Its not stable?
                There's multiple definitions of software stability. One talks about reliability. In this case it talks about rate of development.

Comment

I use BTRFS on my large storage drives. i have a btrfs 'raid1' across 3x 3TB drives. btrfs checksums all the data, which gives me confidence that its safe. having the raid in the filesystem means that scrubs or repairs only needs to look at blocks that are actually used. it also means that if the 2 copies differ the filesystem knows which one is correct.

the only problem i have ever hit is when i moved added a second drive to an existing btrfs filesystem, and re-striped it to be raid1. I forgot (and the tools did not tell me) to make the metadata raid1 (it was still DUP). when I tried to replace one of the drives (due to SMART errors) there was not a full copy of the metadata on the second drive. I had to put the failing drive back in, re-stripe the metadata and then replace the disk. all went fine and no data was lost. but it would be nice if the tools made sure your metadata was at least as redundant as the data.

Comment

I have been wanting to change for a while now.

So would a btrfs filesystem with LZO compression and LVM encryption be reliable?

Comment

Working...
                    X