Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE, GNOME, Unity, Razor-Qt Developers Met Up

Phoronix: KDE, GNOME, Unity, Razor-Qt Developers Met Up

Last week at the SUSE offices in N?rnberg there was a meeting between developers of the KDE, GNOME, Unity, and Razor-qt desktop environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    I was hoping for at least a fist fight. Some blood shed something....god....
    Or at least Linus showing up to tell everyone what desktop he's using

Comment

Finally, something like this needed to happen, though I'm not sure if anything useful will come out of it. Canonical is very narrow-minded, GNOME has a "trust me, this will work" attitude, and KDE was formed specifically because of not liking how GNOME worked. However, it's not fair to the users that things are so fragmented and incompatible because people decide to do their own thing rather than attempt to improve what already exists - one of the nice things about having an open-source OS is you're allowed to contribute. So, lets hope they come to agree on something.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Finally, something like this needed to happen, though I'm not sure if anything useful will come out of it. Canonical is very narrow-minded, GNOME has a "trust me, this will work" attitude, and KDE was formed specifically because of not liking how GNOME worked. However, it's not fair to the users that things are so fragmented and incompatible because people decide to do their own thing rather than attempt to improve what already exists - one of the nice things about having an open-source OS is you're allowed to contribute. So, lets hope they come to agree on something.
        You got your history wrong. KDE was the first desktop environment but depended on Qt which was a non-free toolkit. GNOME was developed as a fully free software alternative but thats all in the distant past. You can have completely different ideas about UI but still work together on core elements like trash cache spec.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Yeah, Schmidt, what Rahul said. KDE was actually the FIRST desktop environment. Gnome got created because the license wasn't up to bar with the GNU standards for freedom.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Let us dump all these DE and start fresh! Unite.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              Let us dump all these DE and start fresh! Unite.
              No! Unite the standards on similar meetings and let everyone implement them in any way they like. That's probably the best way. One-DE-to-rule-them-all approach just won't work.

Comment

I think he was making fun of Unity.

Comment

Invite?

Maybe invite Xfce and LXDE?

Comment

Any standard that requires D-bus is a failed standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X