X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares Drake
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    why don't you, for this job, just use freebsd or even better- solaris? solaris has the best/latest support for zfs
    Last time I tried using it for production was the KQ Infotech port on RHEL6, but that wasn't stable under high IO load (BackupPC Server).
    Since, I have also tried the LLN port to access data on zfs pools for recovery with success, but due to the nature of the usage cannot generalize a recommendation.

If you do new ZFS benchmarks Michael, please do not just do single disk / SSD benchmarks. These are pointless. A comparison of a multidisk mdadm raid5/6 vs a ZFS raidz /raidz2 would be very interesting though. Added information value could be gained by testing how much a ZIL log or cache device SSD improves speeds.
    Otherwise thanks for the greate site! :-)

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Nope, not going to use it. Btrfs does everything I need already, so why should I even bother with ZFS? Especially since it's under the CDDL.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    why don't you, for this job, just use freebsd or even better- solaris? solaris has the best/latest support for zfs

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Will I use ZFS on Linux?

I already do... I'm attempting to use it to recover a corrupted 3-drive ZFS Raid pool that my NAS ate while I was swapping a drive out (and attempting to re-size the pool at the same time).

That being said, I broke the pool out of my own stupidity right after I had neglected to take a fresh backup due to impatience... So either I re-write the parts of ZFS that handle the drive labels to remove the checksum verification and convince it that the missing drive is just off-line, or I lose about 10 years of digital photos...

When I've just left the ZFS array on its own, it has performed wonderfully and reliably in the 3-drive setup in my freenas box. The on-line scrubbing/verification and end-to-end checksums are re-assuring, as well as the fault tolerance for a single-drive failure. Backups are still required anyway, but it's reassuring to know that if a drive dies I have time to find a spare and swap it in without having to scramble.

Current uptime is only ~90 days, but that's due to some power outages at the beginning of winter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X