No announcement yet.

Systemd 199 Has Its Own D-Bus Client Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 200 has been released with couple of changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
      2013. Tested with pulseaudio-2.1 and 3.0, systemd-196, gnome-3.6.3, most recent kernel at that moment.
      It did not crackle with every media. Mp3, Ogg, etc. were just fine. I was really pleased about that (already had pulseaudio-1.x on my system, which produced high CPU load, really bad sound etc.).
      The only files that made trouble were .mkv's I had generated from my DVDs. And they are essential for me during winter

And IMHO packages should contain a usable default configuration. Anytime I read "if pulseaudio does not work it's the fault of your distribution - it should configure pulseaudio to its needs." I'm getting mad. There were times certain distributions configured kde to their needs and introduced silly bugs. KDE makes a point of a good default configuration. You don't have to like it (oxygen style or color scheme) but it is not buggy.
      So what distribution was that? If you try one that already uses systemd and PulseAudio (which is the vast majority of them), you should see that such problems are not there, hence the problem was misconfiguration.

For PA defaults, it depends on your individual sound card drivers. Some simply can't work with timer-based scheduling, for instance. Some, on the contrary, only work with it. Some processors can handle the best audio resampling quality, some are not powerful enough. So there is no way to set perfect defaults for everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        So what distribution was that?
        Gentoo.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        If you try one that already uses systemd and PulseAudio (which is the vast majority of them), you should see that such problems are not there, hence the problem was misconfiguration.
        Gentoo has optional pulseaudio support - some packages need it (like Gnome3), for everything else it can be controlled through USE-Flags - something binary distris simply can't do, so they just default to pulseaudio everywhere. And again the misconfiguration argument I mentioned before...
        BTW. If forgot to mention one funny observation back then: While everything gstreamer (0.10 and 1.0) related crackled vlc just did work - also with pulseaudio enabled. But gstreamer works fine with just plain alsa. So a bug in pulseaudio-usage in gstreamer? Why only mkv's?

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        For PA defaults, it depends on your individual sound card drivers. Some simply can't work with timer-based scheduling, for instance. Some, on the contrary, only work with it. Some processors can handle the best audio resampling quality, some are not powerful enough. So there is no way to set perfect defaults for everything.
        hd-intel, Processor is an i7 2600K, so quite enough power to "handle the best audio resampling quality". Probably a problem with alsa wrapped by pulseaudio wrapped by gstreamer - difficult to tell who does something wrong, probably an accumulation of a bug in one of these components.

Comment

Gentoo has optional pulseaudio support - some packages need it (like Gnome3), for everything else it can be controlled through USE-Flags - something binary distris simply can't do, so they just default to pulseaudio everywhere.
          Not true, I have an Ubuntu install with cli.seed and some packages on top. No pulseaudio, just Alsa. This is with Ubuntu 12.10.

Comment

Gentoo.

Gentoo has optional pulseaudio support - some packages need it (like Gnome3), for everything else it can be controlled through USE-Flags - something binary distris simply can't do, so they just default to pulseaudio everywhere. And again the misconfiguration argument I mentioned before...
            BTW. If forgot to mention one funny observation back then: While everything gstreamer (0.10 and 1.0) related crackled vlc just did work - also with pulseaudio enabled. But gstreamer works fine with just plain alsa. So a bug in pulseaudio-usage in gstreamer? Why only mkv's?

hd-intel, Processor is an i7 2600K, so quite enough power to "handle the best audio resampling quality". Probably a problem with alsa wrapped by pulseaudio wrapped by gstreamer - difficult to tell who does something wrong, probably an accumulation of a bug in one of these components.
            See, I just finished setting up a Gentoo install with both systemd and PulseAudio, no issues whatsoever. It's still easier on other distributions that have it all pre-configured, but it's not like they just don't work. Once again, you can try binary distributions and see what I mean. If something doesn't work there as well, then it's a bug and should be reported.

A funny observation from my end: on my main PC, running openSUSE, GStreamer works perfectly with PulseAudio (aside from the well-known 2 second pause bug in Amarok, but it's reportedly fixed in GStreamer 1.0), while VLC from time to time explodes into static, and the only way to get normal sound back is to restart the audio by changing default devices. But that happens only with ctxfi, with onboard Azalia chip VLC doesn't do that. Hence this is a bug in the way VLC interacts with PulseAudio over the ctxfi driver.

Comment

• It's sad how some confused users keep promoting plain ALSA when in fact they mean to say alsalib, without ever realizing that PulseAudio is just a rewrite of the latter -- not some kind of ``additional layer''. (And the fact that PA has a daemon is just boring implementation details.)

Comment

• Originally posted by ceage View Post
                It's sad how some confused users keep promoting plain ALSA when in fact they mean to say alsalib, without ever realizing that PulseAudio is just a rewrite of the latter -- not some kind of ``additional layer''. (And the fact that PA has a daemon is just boring implementation details.)
                Correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding PulseAudio uses alsa-lib to interact with the kernel. However ALSA doesn't do mixing in the kernel so in any case you need to add additional mixer on top of it (you also need one for networked audio, audio processing and such that PulseAudio also does). Peope who refer to "plain ALSA" probably mean the mixer shipped with alsa-plugins called dmix.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  So what distribution was that? If you try one that already uses systemd and PulseAudio (which is the vast majority of them), you should see that such problems are not there, hence the problem was misconfiguration.

PA is broken if it resamples although sound card supports frequency of source.
                  PA should only resample if sound card doesn't support frequency of source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding PulseAudio uses alsa-lib to interact with the kernel. However ALSA doesn't do mixing in the kernel so in any case you need to add additional mixer on top of it (you also need one for networked audio, audio processing and such that PulseAudio also does). Peope who refer to "plain ALSA" probably mean the mixer shipped with alsa-plugins called dmix.
                    plain ALSA is alsa without dmix.

Comment

Gentoo.

Arch wiki's pulseaudio page, under Troubleshooting. Check it out. Pulses defaults are pretty good but the timer based scheduling has a habit of revealing two things: crappy hardware defaults. (Pulses default config should work just fine unless your hardware does something screwy.) And buggy drivers. Samething that happened when Pulse first launched. Its not that Pulse was wrecking peoples audio its that it was hitting untested codepaths in the alsa drivers and there were, a lot,
                      Of bugs in those paths.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X