Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Yeah I'm aware of the suckless projects. But that must be a lot of work to save 100 megs of RAM.
    No, it actually isn't. It is my hobby to optimise computer systems and I am currently working on eudev (Gentoo fork) to make it more efficient. No one has to go this extreme, but it is fun to break the barriers.
    Today's OS's are memory-hogs and we should not start to waste so many ressources just because they are available, we should work on optimising current systems so they can bring even more performance.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      No, it actually isn't. It is my hobby to optimise computer systems and I am currently working on eudev (Gentoo fork) to make it more efficient. No one has to go this extreme, but it is fun to break the barriers.
      Today's OS's are memory-hogs and we should not start to waste so many ressources just because they are available, we should work on optimising current systems so they can bring even more performance.
      Y'know, there's a reason Linux has to embrace a full GUI for doing everything even though the console is the the fastest way to get certain tasks done.

Also, I don't have any issue with an operating system taking up large chunks of memory to cache itself so that frequently used applications and stuff can execute faster. And of course, large amounts of memory are also used to perform background stuff like address randomization and such.

Comment

Making it a bit clearer

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Y'know, there's a reason Linux has to embrace a full GUI for doing everything even though the console is the the fastest way to get certain tasks done.

Also, I don't have any issue with an operating system taking up large chunks of memory to cache itself so that frequently used applications and stuff can execute faster. And of course, large amounts of memory are also used to perform background stuff like address randomization and such.
        Yes, but address randomisation for instance is already included in those 39 Megabytes. I am talking about the bloat systemd for example is, attempting to sculpt everything around them and locking users into their agenda.
        Lennart Poettering is a really smart guy, his projects are nice to read, but damn, he is no guy I would like to work with because his agenda is disputable.

Comment

That kind of attitude is so annoying. Its nonsense. The more memory that is used the more resources that are needed to put it there. Just because computers today have alot of RAM doesnt mean that an idling OS needs to use it all. RAM is for applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            I can't compile it without dbus. Speaking from personal experience on Mageia 2 and Fedora 17.
            It was way before 17, something like 4 when I last built firefox.

Comment

Lennart Poettering is a really smart guy, his projects are nice to read, but damn, he is no guy I would like to work with because his agenda is disputable.
              What agenda? Do you have some examples of what you are refering to?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                What agenda? Do you have some examples of what you are refering to?
                systemd, pulseaudio, ...

Comment

systemd, pulseaudio, ...
                  Can you show your much better alternative for those listed applications then?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    Can you show your much better alternative for those listed applications then?
                    [alsa, jack], udev and many more

Comment

[alsa, jack], udev and many more
                      Alsa does not provide the same as PulseAudio, nor does Jack. None of what you listed is a replacement for systemd.

I've attended the FOSDEM eudev talk and it was one of the worst presentations I've ever attended. No answers to questions, just things like "eat a chocolate". Some vague statements, no technical answers.

Seems the trend continues!

Comment

Working...
                      X