Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SprezzOS Is Indeed Trying To Be A Faster Linux

Phoronix: SprezzOS Is Indeed Trying To Be A Faster Linux

SprezzOS, a Linux distribution that most people have likely not heard of, is aiming for real change with their open-source operating system. They previously claimed their ambitions were to become the "most robust, beautiful and performant Linux", and it turns out they are indeed trying to at least live up to their performance goals...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm glad someone wants to speed up apt. even on i5, i7 cpus it's still slow.

Comment

Raptorial sounds awesome. I prefer Aptitude's syntax and output to that of APT's, but I'll gladly trade that preference for a speed-up.

Comment

I don't get it. If you're going to go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel...again, why not do something better? Something like file-based dependencies, sane packaging format for developers, and even the ability to track default ownerships/permissions on installed files. Oh right, that's all already done with rpm and yum, or even better yet zypper. But hey, as long as your new implementation has a good strong focus on artwork for a CLI system....*facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooSyxx View Post
          I don't get it. If you're going to go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel...again, why not do something better? Something like file-based dependencies, sane packaging format for developers, and even the ability to track default ownerships/permissions on installed files. Oh right, that's all already done with rpm and yum, or even better yet zypper. But hey, as long as your new implementation has a good strong focus on artwork for a CLI system....*facepalm*
          This isnt about a new format or creating something new. This is just about fixing apt.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Link

What? Not a single link to SprezzOS but two for yourself? C'Mon Michael...

Anyway sounds interesting, will check it out sometime.

Will you do a PTS benchmark of this distro compared to Arch, CentOS, and others?

Comment

this "SprezzOS" is a Big ubuntu based joke. seriously, its just another ubuntu based distro which aims to be "the fastest linux distro ever". Nick black you are a BIG F""" JOKE!.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
                this "SprezzOS" is a Big ubuntu based joke. seriously, its just another ubuntu based distro which aims to be "the fastest linux distro ever". Nick black you are a BIG F""" JOKE!.
                Looking at the discussion linked there, SprezzOS developers may very well end up contributing more code upstream than Canonical has...

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
                  As far as I can see, SprezzOS is based on Debian - not Ubuntu. What are you basing this on?
                  Oh, and for others reading, I'm guessing "Nice black you are a BIG F""" JOKE!" refers to Nick Black (the guy behind SprezzOS) instead of being some weird racial slur

In any case, no matter what it's based on, if it makes apt faster then what's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooSyxx View Post
                    There's nothing wrong in reinventing the wheel, as long as u make it better...
                    In this case they're trying to maintain compatibility. So this is the better kind of improvement they could be doing.
                    Contrary to Canonical that only tries to isolate themselves and force you onto their platform by further branching in terms of compatibility, these guys are actually trying to make Linux better, not just their own distro.

And i salute the SrezzOS developer team for this!

Comment

Working...
                    X