Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Continues Improving Hyper-V For Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Continues Improving Hyper-V For Linux

Microsoft continues publishing new Linux kernel patches for improving support of its Hyper-V virtualization hypervisor for Linux guests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About KVM

I played around with it and found that you can expose a PCI part (like graphic card) directly to the guest OS and thous getting direct 3D support.

Comment

Who is the real winner when Linux gets support for Hyper-V?
      Is it Linux or Microsoft?

So this makes Linux run well as a guest on a Windows host.
      How does Windows run as a guest on a Linux host?

Full HD 1920x1080 on Windows Server 2012 host, and 1600x1200 on Windows Server 2008 R2 or earlier.
      Why not Server 2008 R2 support the same resolutions as Server 2012?

Why just 1920x1080 and not 1920x1200 (16:10), I like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Who is the real winner when Linux gets support for Hyper-V?
        Is it Linux or Microsoft?

So this makes Linux run well as a guest on a Windows host.
        How does Windows run as a guest on a Linux host?

If Windows Hyper-V can run both Linux and Windows better then KVM can then Hyper-V would be that much more attractive as a choice.

Comment

edit: forget what I wrote.
          Last edited by garegin; 09 March 2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

1) Because its two different OS's? Server 2012 is Win8, Server 2008 is Win7. MS did a lot of work with the kernel in Win8 in order to support phones, tablets, laptops, desktops and servers all with 1 kernel-- is it really that big of a shock that part of the improvements were related to the graphics stack?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Crap taint

The VirtualBox module is not tainted and it never was; this is false information. Why does Phoronix keep spreading this rumour? Is it something political?

The patch to taint the module, that was proposed on 6:th October 2011 by Dave Jones, was never accepted. The proposal only lead to a discussion of the module on the kernel mailing list.
              Last edited by Ststst; 09 March 2013, 05:58 PM. Reason: Added some information

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Microsoft Continues Improving Hyper-V For Linux

Microsoft continues publishing new Linux kernel patches for improving support of its Hyper-V virtualization hypervisor for Linux guests...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMjU
                The headline is wrong. It should be "Microsoft Continues Improving Linux For Hyper-V".

Comment

Microsoft keeps improving Linux support for Hyper-V since there is a demand for Linux. However, I can't see Microsoft making any effort to support Windows to run on Xen or KVM, no drivers no nothing! Of course they don't - they want to push their Hyper-V and prevent us from using Linux as the OS that runs the VMs.

This is a very dangerous development and I don't see anything good about it. If corporate users indeed consolidate their servers and fall into the Microsoft/Hyper-V trap, it will slowly but surely kill Linux in the server world. What will be left of it is a Microsoft monopoly.

I don't think this would be a good thing for users. It would be also irresponsible of IT managers to go that way - putting all the cards on a single vendor. Let alone the security "black hole" such closed source OS software presents.

To sum it up: Microsoft is hijacking the Linux kernel to push Windows and Hyper-V, yet offer nothing in return.

@phoronix: Michael, why haven't you mentioned Xen in your article? It's at least as valid an alternative to Hyper-V, or Vmware, as KVM is. In fact, in terms of scalability, life migration, performance, versatility, etc. Xen deserves a lot more mention.
                  Last edited by powerhouse; 16 March 2013, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I personally use VMware's products on a day-to-day basis on Linux and OS X to great success.
                    What about Parallels? I've seen in all the VMWare vs Parallels reviews that Paralles beats VMWare, even in 3D acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                    X