Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power regression by futex problem?

Hello everybody,

I've started playing with MySQL vs. MariaDB lately. The replacement works just fine, though I have some concerns about a power regression (and possibly more side effects). This does not only effect MySQL/MariaDB but every threaded application using fast user-space locking.

Tracing system calls of these processes with strace I can see a futex timeout every second. Searching for this behavior on Google brings up a lot of discussions about 2012's leap second, though MySQL and others are reported to generate really high load. As said for me this is just one wakeup a seconds.

Setting the time with 'date -s "$(date)"' does not help in my case. Setting the time back for X seconds makes the futex problem disappear for these X seconds. After that it just continues.

As a lot of applications are threaded these days and every running threaded process seems to wake the system each second this looks like a really bad power regression to me. I could reproduce this with Arch Linux and openSUSE, have not tested any more.

Any clue what is going on?

Regards,
    Chris
Working...
X