X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Not if those applications are programmed for the native Windows 8 interface... right?
    Applications programmed for the native Windows 8 interface (widely-known as Metro, officially "Modern UI") are not written in Win32 API, which is what Wine implements.

They're written in HTML5 with JavaScript using WinJS.
    Or C# / .NET which is Mono, not Wine.

So yeah, still useless.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by bobwya View Post
    Hate to mention the elephant in the room... But what about the tonne of software that doesn't yet run on Wine on a Linux-based Desktop System?? I'm subscribed to the Wine Bug ML and it's inundated everyday with new (open) bugs...
    For some software that does not run, there is a Linux equivalent. For all else, why not use a VM? Besides, extending wine to other platforms might help it contain more code that will make more software work.

Leave a comment:

• ldesnogu
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Michael dropped some pretty strong hints, ie WINE devs hoping for increased adoption of Android on x86 and WINE ARM being covered separately.
    That's my understanding. And that's funny given that Codeweaver couldn't demonstrate WINE on a native x86 Android platform. This hardware is quite rare in fact and I'm not sure we'll see many x86 Android tablets in the short term, and the focus seems to be on Windows 8 (for instance Atom Z2760 is only supported on Windows).

OTOH they could have used some Android-x86 image on a desktop/laptop rather than relying on QEMU used in Android SDK. Or even better they could have used Intel HW Accelerated Execution Manager. Both of these options should be very fast.

Leave a comment:

• bobwya
    replied
    Hate to mention the elephant in the room... But what about the tonne of software that doesn't yet run on Wine on a Linux-based Desktop System?? I'm subscribed to the Wine Bug ML and it's inundated everyday with new (open) bugs...

Don't get me wrong I love the project (and moderate a few WineHQ AppDB pages) but it's bitten off a huge target - more than the current developer team can cope with...

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by kuco View Post
    there's even psx and n64 emulators for phones emulating gamepads.
    That would be a legitimate reason for me to ditch my old (ancient?) SE K800i .

Leave a comment:

• kuco
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Running PC applications on an phone is useless.

PC applications are designed for keyboard and mouse input.
    Smartphone apps are designed for touch input.
    ?? just because it's less convenient doesnt make it useless. touchscreen = mouse, onscreenkeyboard = keyboard. and alot of applications work well without ANY keyboard input (aoe2 f.e). there's even psx and n64 emulators for phones emulating gamepads. so keyboard+mouse "emulation" shouldnt be much of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Not if those applications are programmed for the native Windows 8 interface... right?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by kuco View Post
    there are some nice x86 android-phones coming up
    Much like how Lenovo's K800 was unveiled as the first Intel Medfield phone last CES, this year the manufacturer pulled another first with the K900, powered by Intel's recently-announced Clover Trail+ platform (likely an Atom Z2580 clocked at 2GHz). For those who missed the Intel keynote, Clover Trail+ is the much improved yet still secretive successor to the relatively quiet Medfield, though it is odd that Lenovo only says "the forthcoming Intel Atom processor platform for smartphones" instead of just "Clover Trail+" in the press release. Anyhow, said Android device comes with many mouth-watering features: 5.5-inch 1080p IPS display, Gorilla Glass 2, 13-megapixel F1.8 camera with dual flash, and a front-facing imager with an 88-degree super wide viewing angle. 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage add to the package. As with many Lenovo phones, there will also be three capacitive touch buttons below the screen. All of this goodness comes in a handsome 6.9mm-thick body that consists of stainless steel alloy plus polycarbonate, and together they weigh just 162g. Little else has been unveiled about the K900 so far, but it'll be available in China from April. Update: We've just gotten up close and personal with the Lenovo K900 and it's certainly an impressive piece of kit. This 5.5-inch 1080p device touts a low magnetic property steel in combination with polycarbonate to offer users lavish style without compromising on antenna reception. Depending on the model -- four colors in all -- users will be treated to a striped brushing or, in the case of the Diamond Plate model, a very reflective gem-like design on back. For more of these first impressions of Lenovo's K900, follow on after the break. Joseph Volpe, Ben Gilbert and Zach Honig contributed to this report.

a wine port would be awesome. running aoe2 on my phone = <3

Leave a comment:

• kuco
    replied
    A Windows application running on Android. While Wine is coming to ARM and there's quite a lot of interest there, CodeWeavers is quite interested and hopeful for the success of Intel x86 Atom CPUs for tablets. If Android gains traction on x86-based tablets and other mobile devices, CodeWeavers has a lot of commercial opportunities for pushing the running of Windows software on Android. Of course, there's ARM devices too, the Wine ARM update will be shared in another Phoronix article.
    Most of you miss the point, that there will be quite alot x86-android devices. Tablets AND Phones. Google Lenovo-k900 for example.
    Intel did their homework. New Atom generation is AS or even MORE efficient than current arm CPUs. And that's for the 32nm Atom. Don't forget about the 22nm tri-gate atoms coming up.

The claim that x86 ISA suffers an inherent efficiency disadvantage to ARM does not hold true when you break down the power consumption of currently-available platforms sporting both architectures. They finish neck and neck in most cases. And, when it comes to Microsoft's Surface compared to Acer's W510, the Atom-powered tablet consistently edges out Nvidia's Tegra 3.
    read : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rm,3387-5.html

So no need for qemu on those devices. All you have to emulate is the environment wine needs. Android doesnt use x-sever while wine heavily relies on it f.e. If there won't be a good wine port i'll just wait for someone to port a full linux-distr (including x) for those devices.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    Don't forget about "all" thouse apps for Windows NT 3 for arm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X