X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danielbot
    replied
    Originally posted by balouba View Post
    ...systemd's biggest dep is indeed, dbus....
    dbus is, by far, the least reliable component on my workstation. Goes into 100% CPU way more times than is comfortable for me. Not the only reliability or performance issue, far from it. The fact that systemd is intimately tied to it is hardly a stellar recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• danielbot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Major distros who are using SysV?

Gentoo, Slackware, Debian (Im leaving RHEL + its clones out of this because RHEL7 uses systemd)

Major distros using Upstart?

Ubuntu, (+derivatives, but basically Ubuntu.)

Everyone else? systemd
    Sounds like the preponderance of "everyone else" is "Red Hat".

Leave a comment:

• danielbot
    replied
    He said he'd EVENTUALLY remove support for non-systemd. People always forget the "EVENTUALLY." Once people started freaking out he clarified that it was not a short-term goal by any means and would only happen once systemd was THE standard in the linux ecosystem and there WERE no competitors TO support.
    It should not be a goal at all. Having the udev maintainer and systemd maintainer be the same person is a recipe for disaster. Untenable situation in my opinion. Obviously, the temptation to leverage udev to accelerate the demise of systemd competitors must be strong, and chances are, irresistable.

Leave a comment:

• danielbot
    replied
    ...it cant be bloated because bloated implies that things are forced. Is the kernel bloated?
    Yes, the kernel is bloated. Why do you ask?

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by cynyr View Post
    I could use the gentoo init file, except that it's not a sysV init file. It is not standalone and depends on other bits of software to work (namely runscript) and includes dependancy info in the init file. I don't really want to write init scrips just so that I can use a different init system, when the one I have works well and is fast enough. So, until everything is shipping with .system files I think I'll stick with the distro default, and a distro that doesn't use systemd.
    Gentoo's wiki (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Systemd#Services) has a mediatomb .service, for the record. And if mediatomb doesn't ship a .service file then thats mediatomb's fault, just as it would be if they didnt ship a sysV init or an upstart job

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
    As for the journal thing, why would I want two logs on the same machine? Either make sure that I can recover the logs, from a mostly corrupt HDD as long as I can read at least some of the file, or let me not run journal at all, and pass everything to syslog-ng. chrooting and running the installed copy of journal is not good enough and not being able to get anything out on a partially corrupted file is also not good enough.
    syslogs are only there in an emergency, same way you would use a remote syslog server in the emergency event of a break in on a production machine. So far i haven't had a situation where the journal wasn't enough. "Or let me rn the journal not at all and pass everything to syslog-ng" Thats what im doing. Journal and syslog both capture log messages. Journal doesnt block syslog in any way. In fact they made it a point to allow syslog and journal to be running simultaneously.

Leave a comment:

• cynyr
    replied
    Systemd can also parse init.d/rc.d scripts so theres that OR you could set it up where the .service file for your app actually just calls your custom written rc.d/init.d script. Make a script for mediatomb, drop it in /etc/init.d/ then just whip up a quick mediatomb.service file, drop it in /etc/systemd/system. have:

ExecStart=/etc/init.d/mediatomb start
    ExecStop=/etc/init.d/mediatomb stop

this way you dont have to really mix and match init systems. a quick "systemctl enable mediatomb" will tell it to start on boot. and a "systemctl start mediatomb" will run ExecStart. Because its in /etc/systemd/system you dont have to worry about it ever being overwritten. The only problem would be if mediatomb did ever ship a default .service file, yours would automatically override it because they have the same name. So you might want to make it be "my-mediatomb.service" or something like that.
    I could use the gentoo init file, except that it's not a sysV init file. It is not standalone and depends on other bits of software to work (namely runscript) and includes dependancy info in the init file. I don't really want to write init scrips just so that I can use a different init system, when the one I have works well and is fast enough. So, until everything is shipping with .system files I think I'll stick with the distro default, and a distro that doesn't use systemd.

As for the journal thing, why would I want two logs on the same machine? Either make sure that I can recover the logs, from a mostly corrupt HDD as long as I can read at least some of the file, or let me not run journal at all, and pass everything to syslog-ng. chrooting and running the installed copy of journal is not good enough and not being able to get anything out on a partially corrupted file is also not good enough.

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Was I pissed when UDEV got forced to systemd, yeah, I got over it.

Do I like systemd? I guess, I am warming up to it.. still not super fond of the daemon setup however.

edit: by not being fond of the daemons I mean this crap "systemctl enable servicename.service" <- do I really need to type .service all the time? fuck.
    No, you don't. Try it.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post

Do I like systemd? I guess, I am warming up to it.. still not super fond of the daemon setup however.

edit: by not being fond of the daemons I mean this crap "systemctl enable servicename.service" <- do I really need to type .service all the time? fuck.
    Not on mainline systemd. A few release back the requirement to always add ".service" got removed. now you can just do "systemctl enable servicename1 servicename2 servicename3" Your distro may not have that version yet, but Arch-current does

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    eh meh and eh meh

Last edited by nightmarex; 27 January 2013, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by Akka View Post
    I don't think the networkamanger project has anything to do with Lennart Poettering.
    Whoops, howd that get in there? XD knew i shouldve gone to bed earlier last night lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X