• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frantaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by newwen View Post
    exFAT is very much like a trojan horse.

Anyone shipping a product with exFAT enabled will face Microsoft's claims for patent royalties.

It's a shame that this filesystem was chosen for removable memory standards. Microsoft, once more, leveraged their market monopoly, and by not properly supporting third party filesystems, they imposed their patented format to collect royalties.
    ANYONE???

You mean that people who live in countries without software patent laws will face claims?

Yes indeed phoronix is the home of people who claim fluency in computer languages and yet they can't even use simple English words effectively.

"not properly supporting" WOW unless you are assuming some massive unknown shakeup at Microsoft, last I heard they were not in the business of giving out free engineering development. You mean to say that Microsoft is in the wrong here because they are not spending their own money to help their competitors? How horrifying. I guess in your reality Microsoft comes out and helps people to tie their shoes and snap their buttons in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Anyone or anything use exFAT?

Is there anyone or anything that actually really uses exFAT?

Leave a comment:

• [Knuckles]
    replied
    Indeed, microsoft knew *exactly* what they were doing when they created exfat.

Luckily I haven't seen it in the wild yet (which is a good sign), but having an open-source implementation is always helpful if you really need access to something using exfat.

Leave a comment:

• newwen
    replied
    exFAT is very much like a trojan horse.

Anyone shipping a product with exFAT enabled will face Microsoft's claims for patent royalties.

It's a shame that this filesystem was chosen for removable memory standards. Microsoft, once more, leveraged their market monopoly, and by not properly supporting third party filesystems, they imposed their patented format to collect royalties.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X