No announcement yet.

Digia Officially Releases Qt 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really get what the fuss about licensing is all about, too. How many of you people are Qt contributors? Because their licensing policies only affect them. For people who use Qt as a library, they are free to choose their own license.

Comment

Hopefully the support for 4.x stays good as they promised. 5.x won't likely be fully usable until something like 5.6 in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        I don't really get what the fuss about licensing is all about, too. How many of you people are Qt contributors? Because their licensing policies only affect them. For people who use Qt as a library, they are free to choose their own license.
        Emerald, the twitter response mentions nothing. The article on LWN mentions interview with them, where they state the UI will be proprietary, but it will be very thin layer. There would be nothing below UI, unlike Android, that is proprietary.
        It works for me, unless they do this.

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
        There are a lot of people who care deeply about the open-source philosophy, and I respect that. But I am a pragmatist: computers and software are just tools to perform tasks. Anything beyond that - I don't give a shit.
        The true reason people care deeply about opensource (and it is not philosophy) is so that this *software tool* does not use *you* as a *tool*. If it all were about writing better opensource ms/xpaint, it wouldn't deserve so much effort. We have left the era when computing was used only for such trivial tasks long ago.

---

Well, the responses actually beat me. I don't know who will want to contribute, but to use existing foundation is yes, easy. That said, they should have relicensed Qt to BSD or something similar because there is no point in GPL (and exploiting it). Qt is a library, the only danger may come from patenting or closing down vital parts. No sins in using it in proprietary, but if proprietary are using opensource developed work without giving any code back, why care about GPL at all...
        Last edited by crazycheese; 20 December 2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

At the risk of being on-topic:

Hurrah for Qt 5.0! I've been looking forward to this day!

I've only recently started using Qt but it's been a pleasure to do so and I've appreciated the documentation and examples given. Congratulations to Digia at the Qt project.

Comment

Digia Officially Releases

This is one of the good articles you can find in the net explaining everything in detail regarding the topic. I thank you for taking your time sharing your thoughts and ideas to a lot of readers out there.

Comment

Working...
            X