• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Gentoo Announces Eudev Project -- Its Udev Fork

Gentoo Announces Eudev Project -- Its Udev Fork

Phoronix: Gentoo Announces Eudev Project -- Its Udev Fork

Back in mid-November I wrote about Gentoo developers looking at forking udev after being unhappy with its direction under systemd leadership. The Gentoo project has now announced eudev as their fork...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1NTE

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Status

systemd: Lots of activity. Hackfest going on right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGx2n7aels
    eudev: Dead after the clown show at fosdem.

Quite predicable but still very funny. Lets hope the new LSD clowns can be as funny as the now dead fork.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Open source refers to a development method.
    Free software refers to an ideology that comes with ethical elements such as that it must be free as in freedom.
    This was not what I tried to adress, I said that they shoud help each other in developing this musn't include free software or open source.
    '

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    OS X derives from Darwin which derives from NeXTSTEP, BSD, etc.
    That still does not make Darwin/MacOSX BSD... They have some pretty big differences in architecture. Plus, the bsd component is only one part of OSX's core;

https://developer.apple.com/library/...hitecture.html
    https://developer.apple.com/library/...echnology.html

and fyi OSX doesn't derive from Darwin ~ Darwin IS at the core of the operating system, and Apple releases the source code for every MacOSX release. (PureDarwin is using an older version of Darwin (like 2-4 releases behind - possibly from the leopard days, although i could be wrong on that...)

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    Open source dosn't inclue honorfull acting and courage, I my opionion id woud better to work together with the BSDs guys rather than making more and ore differences between Unix-like systems.
    Open source refers to a development method.
    Free software refers to an ideology that comes with ethical elements such as that it must be free as in freedom.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    OS X is not BSD.
    OS X derives from Darwin which derives from NeXTSTEP, BSD, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

@Thaodan:"Open source dosn't inclue honorfull acting and courage, I my opionion id woud better to work together with the BSDs guys rather than making more and ore differences between Unix-like systems."
    Why? BSD already have better system. Its called MacOSX.
    OS X is not BSD.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Systemd and udev are opensource. That alone makes them different with Microsoft.
    ASP.NET MVC, NuGet, IronPython, IronRuby, etc are all under open source licenses.
    These days even Microsoft are doing some open source.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by ryao View Post
    How is it problematic?
    Because he works for Red Hat which actually needs systemd to fix their incredibly fucked boot times.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    @ninez: Sorry.
    No need to apologize Mr.Cheese, it's not your fault that 'ignore' doesn't cover quoting

I just thought i would point out how futile it can be to deal with asdx and the limitation of 'ignore list'. (i probably worded it a bit silly in retrospect though - ie: it's not like i have some expectation that just because i have put him on ignore - everyone else has..lol ). but any time he starts to show promise, like in a few cases - ie: where he seems to acknowledge that his behavior is undesirable - within a few posts <like clockwork> he goes right back to the same old crap.

but who knows, maybe asdx has been improving over the last couple of months (i wouldn't know, but his comment would suggest that most likely, he has not.)

anyway, enough of that

cheerz

Leave a comment:

Working...
X