Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tancrackers
    curses out a company
    Considering that it has always been the case where Linux has bent over backwards to get hardware to work on it, with or without the hardware manuf. support, I'd say it was a pretty big deal as I don't believe Linus (or any other kernel dev) has ever publicly done that before, on video, to any hardware manuf.

He's bitched about the whole gnome project, bitched about KDE,
    Every PC user bitches about their Desktop. It would be news if they didn't. I could bitch about LXDE, KDE, and IceWM until the cows come home because I know them so well. I used to work in an all-windows multi billion dollar corporation and everyday somebody would call me and bitch to me about their Windows desktop, even though that's the only desktop they've ever known. If you don't have anything to bitch about it's because you haven't used it long enough.

called Debian pointless
    Either you have a horrible horrible time understanding English or you're intentionally taking things out of context to piss people off for fun.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English isn't your native language.

The context of that was winning over marketshare and Linus felt that in order to do that, every distribution should make it a primary goal to make it easier to use. So installing Debian was a "pointless exercise" in that regard because that has never been a primary goal of Debian. As a lot of Debian devs say, you only need to install Debian once on the PC, so it just didn't make sense in the past to put so much effort into an installer as people will only run it once. As long as it works, it was considered to be good enough.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 02 November 2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

The fact that he complains so much and states his opinion is what makes it interesting. He is honest about his feelings so when he says something sucks or doesn't completely suck you know he isn't sugar coating it. He doesn't play favorites between gnome or kde or xfce. He will tell you what is wrong with each one of them and what is good about them. I don't know any other person who you can say the same about. Everyone else seems more biased and would switch to windows before switching to another DE.

Comment

i hate kde for objective reasons, not because of bias. As a matter of fact I used to love kd3, it had a few issues, but was a great desktop. kde4 looks like a damn toy. it is too untraditional. as a result, it gets in your way, instead of guiding your workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          i hate kde for objective reasons, not because of bias. As a matter of fact I used to love kd3, it had a few issues, but was a great desktop. kde4 looks like a damn toy. it is too untraditional. as a result, it gets in your way, instead of guiding your workflow.
          That's odd - not something that I found at all - I have a faster workflow on KDE4 then I ever had on 3.x. Though it's probably important to note that it is not the same workflow

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            KDE's default mouse cursors are laughable. This is one of the reasons why people say KDE looks "cartoony." Instead of sharp, precise pointer, we get a bulky, fuzzy piece of madness.

Why KDE doesn't simply adopt Vanilla-DMZ as its default mouse cursor theme is beyond me.
            Have been using these for years now, without any problems.

Comment

He bitches about everything. He said he once tried to work on the ubuntu-patched kernel and gave up. He's bitched about the whole gnome project, bitched about KDE, called Debian pointless, curses out a company and everyone cums themselves.
              I really don't get why the god damned worship people give him.
              I respect his views, but he gets blown out of proportion.
              because he is with everything he was bitching about MOSTLY right! though, i do not care about worshipping anybody.

Comment

My point was, he just seems overglorified.
                probably. that's with people that lack knwoledge. they start to hate or glorify.
                I read his debate with Professor Tanenbaum and Torvalds came off a little punkish. Tanenbaum sounded 100% professional whereas I read Torvalds say, "...Minix sucks."
                you should also know the backstory. there is much more behind.
                As for why he switched, I'd say this was a perfect time since KDE is on version 4.9.2, it has had enough stability improvements since the 4.x fiasco started. 4.9 is by far the best KDE 4.x release that I have ever used. So I have a feeling he's gonna be sticking with KDE from now on ;o
                no matter how good or not kde is, i doubt he will be sticking. he seems to be always on a journy of trying out this and that and that type of guy that is never really satisfied. personaly this is a disadvantage but profesionally this is an advantage. guess why!

Comment

"wobbly windows" IS a must

"wobbly windows" IS a must, once you start using it.

It gives me the visual cues I can no longer live without. The active window is immediately recognized.

Seriously, it is that good.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                    "wobbly windows" IS a must, once you start using it.

It gives me the visual cues I can no longer live without. The active window is immediately recognized.

Seriously, it is that good.
                    Yeah. Humanity was doomed before this highly esteemed super feature was invented. Was life worth living in the times on non-wobbly? I think not. This is just soooooooo great. And Linus? Please dont underestimate the importance of him using it!!1 When he writes he is trying out some piece of software(and critizing it at the same time) then it is high impact like next weeks elections. I guess the world could start spin the opposite way around if Linus wrote it should on G+. Riiiiight

Well this should not stop the vocal minority of KDE SUPERUSER elitists to go total hyperbole and claim 2012 to be YOTLD spearheded by KDEs stinky pile of dungware.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      The bugs. Too many annoying glitches. Panels lose transparency at random, task bar icons disappear or shift position to weird places, Phonon spams you to death about ALSA devices going away, notifications are completely broken, stuff like that. It feels like KDE is telling you "fuck off, I don't want you. Go use Gnome."
                      I've been using KDE since the 4.0 days and I haven't seen most of those (except the silly Phonon one - ug), but for quite awhile I had nepomuk crashes that prevented shutdown, when kmail 2/the new pim came out I had 100% cpu most of the time, and the one that annoys me most right now, every time I boot I get a file download dialog for the webpage I was on when I shutdown - also kwallet asking for permission to check my mail. I want to give kmail permanent permission to access that password but I don't think there's an option.

Comment

Working...
                      X