Linus Torvalds Switches Back To KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    The bugs. Too many annoying glitches. Panels lose transparency at random, task bar icons disappear or shift position to weird places, Phonon spams you to death about ALSA devices going away, notifications are completely broken, stuff like that. It feels like KDE is telling you "fuck off, I don't want you. Go use Gnome."
    may i add something important to me:
    it onsume quite more power than all other DEs. for me this is important as my pc is actually also my htpc.

and there is also ana dditional personal antipathy: i know and used kde since its early 2.x versions. and it was horrible. it was like using windows 3.1 on linux: bloated with a lot of half done features, unstable, slow.... it ket that way all they way to end 3.x.
    of course this may have changed meanwhile with 4.x. can't tell this as i only tried kde 4 once a year ago and i ditched it due to its power consumption and higher cpu/gpu usage.

i also do not like may of its "features" and am too lazy to start customizing every thing "back" to get something i like. why should i....

meanwhile, even though there are also quite some things i dislike or am missing on gnome, i very like the concept of gnome shell. though this is a questuion of taste.

p.s. just in case somebody gets me wrong: my bad experience probalby isn't upt to date anymore. but this is own of my reasons for disliking kde.
    but i am thankfull kde exists as it attracts a lot of other users. i like having many options that do please many users.
    so as much as i personally dislike kde, if many enjoy it than i am happy it exists

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
      my KDE uses around 500 megs of ram on startup(LXDE around 280 on the same pc and install, for comparison), with most of the functionality intact. By default it's around 600 IIRC.
      My XFCE is using 85 MB.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
        My XFCE is using 85 MB.
        my gnome shell is using 600MB ... lol

but honestly i do not care about memory consumption. i have memory to be used. i do care about cpu usage and power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
          This just proves how wise and intelligent Linus is, just like all KDE users.
          Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Because he's a classy person?
          You probably were not saying these things a few years ago.

At any rate, I do have to agree that the little flame wars these things cause are rather stupid, as Linus's tastes are not really anymore important than anyone other Linux users.

I mean, after all, we all know the big question is what distribution he uses...

*ducks from flames of hate*

Comment

Fedora. Everyone knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
              Fedora. Everyone knows.
              Well, that was the case in 2008 but I do not think we really know now.

(I am a Fedora user BTW so I am not saying that to slag it off)

But at any rate, I was being facetious.

Comment

My XFCE is using 85 MB.
                So?
                For me it used 350 or something .. Catalyst alone takes a chunk of memory I guess ...
                With open drivers only and some tweaking in the system here and there it can certainly go pretty low.
                **Also, the more the memory you have, the more will be taken. That's something I've observed(correct me if wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                  So?
                  For me it used 350 or something .. Catalyst alone takes a chunk of memory I guess ...
                  With open drivers only and some tweaking in the system here and there it can certainly go pretty low.
                  **Also, the more the memory you have, the more will be taken. That's something I've observed(correct me if wrong).
                  to kde not a fan of it, but I have to say that the user expirence under opensuse with kde wasnt that bad. had to go there for a article I wrote. (in a virtual pc)

to xfce, wanted to try it because I have some low-end systems I use (Zacate) and I wanted to have more speed and more basic desktop... but in fedora it seems to not be availible in gdm when you install it... (fc18) if somebody have a solution therefor I would be thankful ^^

to linus, he is funnier as any cartoon you could read... should be made a series in tv linus torvalds live kde special episode 3 ^^

did I forget something... I tried out awesome-fm like it, for work... but I have problems with it and with emacs, this damn browsers seem to pop out maxed or bigger than they should cant embed any good fast browser in emacs w3m is slow and looks aweful, and also in awesome-fm does not place it in a small tiled window besides the terminals...

Browsers suck... they kill my emacs experince.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    I give him 2 weeks before he switches to something else.
                    Maybe to something simple like LXDE or plain Openbox

Comment

My XFCE is using 85 MB.
                      Are you running it on a toaster?

Comment

Working...
                      X