Linus Torvalds Switches Back To KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    * systemsettings needs to be overhauled, because there are lots of inconsistencies and poor organization. It should be divided into a few main sections (eye-candy, UI settings, admin settings, hardware settings, etc) and then each of those should be divided into their own categories (so under eye-candy there could be kwin compositing, themes, color schemes, etc). This way you can ignore entire sections that are daunting or unappealling to users who want something as simple as GNOME.
    besides "eye-candy" is called "Workspace and Appearance and Behavior" and "kwin-compositing" is called "Desktop Effects" how do this differ from how it is now?
    * Lessen dependencies on packages that shouldn't matter, such as nepomuk or konqueror.
    you can uninstall konqueror, I don't think anything essential is dependent on konqueror.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Prepare for the shit storm, I say.
      Yep, I sense a "little" bit of trolling...

Comment

Don't know what people don't like about KDE .. I've used most DEs more or less, and right now I'm on KDE(Ubuntu 12.10). I installed KDE on top(I started with vanilla Ubuntu, and started populating the DEs login list like usual .. xD). Btw, default cursor was DMZ black. But I'll probably change it to oxygen theme .. :P
        Maybe this is also personal preference, but I do like the theme. Still, I have many choices over it, I can even use GTK themes.
        Yeah, they're not 100% the same as with GTK apps though ...
        After a little bit of tweaking, my KDE uses around 500 megs of ram on startup(LXDE around 280 on the same pc and install, for comparison), with most of the functionality intact. By default it's around 600 IIRC. Although I've recently surrendered close to 400 megs to nepomuk(I decided not to fight it anymore, and it seems fine, not slowing anything down, but makes searches fast). I have my ram to use it anyways(4 gigs here). And it's very stable .. Not that it NEVER crashes, but whenever it did, it was automagically back working after a few seconds.

I like the integrated theme search a lot too. I think KDE is doing pretty well right now. Even for games, just Alt+Shift+F12 and turns off effects, then when done do that again and all the bling is back on. Tends to work better than undirect I'd say(not a very good solution either in my opinion, but it works well). In fact, you can have effects generally disabled if you don't want them.
        But I have to agree, there's a few redundant dependencies, and it starts up a bit slow(it's a few seconds we're talking about though), but I'd say it's worth it. And I think they're going in the (mostly) right direction. Can still make various improvements here and there, though.

Also, I wouldn't really call me a KDE fan, I often change DEs and pretty much always try the new versions. My favorites as of now are probably KDE and pantheon. Hope we can all get along, regardless of our DE preferences. No reason not to. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
          Don't know what people don't like about KDE
          The bugs. Too many annoying glitches. Panels lose transparency at random, task bar icons disappear or shift position to weird places, Phonon spams you to death about ALSA devices going away, notifications are completely broken, stuff like that. It feels like KDE is telling you "fuck off, I don't want you. Go use Gnome."

Comment

The bugs. Too many annoying glitches. Panels lose transparency at random, task bar icons disappear or shift position to weird places, Phonon spams you to death about ALSA devices going away, notifications are completely broken, stuff like that. It feels like KDE is telling you "fuck off, I don't want you. Go use Gnome."
            I've indeed encountered a taskbar glitch (shifting position) and the sound devices going away(lol on this one xD), but rarely, especially the later. It's not that bad, 99% of the time I have no bugs. Have you had those in the latest versions too?
            Btw, it's like Gnome is .. Glitch free .. Or is it ..?

Comment

I rarely have seen most of the above problems, but as for the bolded... oh god yes. Lol.

That's something I've seen in KDE for years and it's never gone away. Kinda funny.

Comment

Why does it matter which desktop environment a kernel coder prefers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                  Why does it matter which desktop environment a kernel coder prefers?
                  Because he's a classy person?

Comment

Why does he use Linux then?

Comment

which hasn't happen to me in ages. So because 4.0 wasn't good you are still trolling around? Well, gnome is still looking for people reporting essential features they like so they can be removed with the next release.

Comment

Working...
                      X