Wine-Based CrossOver Software To Be Free Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Once I buy something, I expect it to work forever. I would need to be a total idiot to even consider buying something that essentially tells me that I didn't buy it but just leased it.

No, thanks.
    Just for sake of curiosity, check any production oriented CAD or CAM software...

Comment

The only proper games supported by CodeWeaver are Diablo3 and WoW.

For the 500 other titles in the list is a forum, where users can help users...

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
        The only proper games supported by CodeWeaver are Diablo3 and WoW.
        That is simply not true. This is a list of games that are officially supported:

Baseball Mogul 2012 and 2013
        Call of Duty 2
        Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
        Civilization IV and V
        Counter-Strike: Source
        Day of Defeat
        Day of Defeat: Source
        Diablo III
        EVE Online
        Guild Wars
        Half-Life2 & Episodes 1 and 2
        Jade Dynasty
        Left 4 Dead
        Left 4 Dead 2
        National Mah Jongg League Online
        Peggle Deluxe
        Portal
        RIFT
        Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine
        Spore
        Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
        Star Trek Online
        Team Fortress 2
        The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
        Wizard 101
        World of Warcraft

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
          That is simply not true. This is a list of games that are officially supported:

Baseball Mogul 2012 and 2013
          Call of Duty 2
          Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
          Civilization IV and V
          Counter-Strike: Source
          Day of Defeat
          Day of Defeat: Source
          Diablo III
          EVE Online
          Guild Wars
          Half-Life2 & Episodes 1 and 2
          Jade Dynasty
          Left 4 Dead
          Left 4 Dead 2
          National Mah Jongg League Online
          Peggle Deluxe
          Portal
          RIFT
          Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine
          Spore
          Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
          Star Trek Online
          Team Fortress 2
          The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
          Wizard 101
          World of Warcraft
          OK some more. Funny enough, DDO is listed as TOP 25 applications and not supported
          The current installation script will install the game and thankfully all the .NET and other winetricks stuff. The pylotro client (whereever that went) doesn't work. Do I installed it manually then had to rename the prefix/bottle folder to something without spaces in the file name in order to patch the client. After that everything is as if I would have used normal wine?

Does crossover actual use the OS version of wine or its own?
          I mean I start the game with the normal pyloro client, which uses the system Python interpreter. That client would use the wine binary installed on the system I assume and not some Crossover patched version.

So the only advantage is to have all the winetricks dependencies installed by the installation script in Crossover.

//edit:
          and what are these files for in the prefix:
          cxassoc.conf cxbottle.conf cxmenu.conf cxnsplugin.conf
          Maybe I just start the application the wrong way?
          Last edited by disi; 01 November 2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

If you installed the pylotro client in the same bottle then that would use codeweaver's version of wine.

The advantage is that by buying Crossover you get to fund further development of wine, you get an easy way to install quite a hefty bunch of windows programs and you get access to support from the devs if something breaks the functionality of a supported application.

Fun fact: Since you mentioned Diablo 3 as one of the worthwhile games that have official support, do you know how it came to be that wine and Crossover got the ability to run it? It's because Blizzard gave early beta access to Codeweavers so that they could work on that. Of course, you can choose to believe me or not. It's fine either way.

Comment

If you installed the pylotro client in the same bottle then that would use codeweaver's version of wine.

The advantage is that by buying Crossover you get to fund further development of wine, you get an easy way to install quite a hefty bunch of windows programs and you get access to support from the devs if something breaks the functionality of a supported application.

Fun fact: Since you mentioned Diablo 3 as one of the worthwhile games that have official support, do you know how it came to be that wine and Crossover got the ability to run it? It's because Blizzard gave early beta access to Codeweavers so that they could work on that. Of course, you can choose to believe me or not. It's fine either way.
              The installation script installed a Windows version of pylotro: into the prefix (pylotro.exe)
              So how would I start that without using the system wine version?

I could run it like :
              /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine /bla/bla/pylotro.exe
              To use the codeweaver wine version...

Or create a simlink /usr/bin/wine to /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine
              So I would know how to work around it, but that shouldn't be default?
              Last edited by disi; 01 November 2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Pylotro should have been installed in the same bottle where lotro was installed. You have the ability to change that just before installing.

If PyLotro was installed in it's own bottle (or prefix) then it would still use codeweaver's version of wine. Want to check it? Uninstall wine. If you are right, PyLotro should not be able to run

Comment

Pylotro should have been installed in the same bottle where lotro was installed. You have the ability to change that just before installing.

If PyLotro was installed in it's own bottle (or prefix) then it would still use codeweaver's version of wine. Want to check it? Uninstall wine. If you are right, PyLotro should not be able to run
                  Jupp, you are right.

I went back to wine now. Crossover turns off the external monitor (I want to play on) and starts the game on the laptop screen. Changes both resolutions and then when you come out of the game, it leaves it at the game resolution.
                  With stock wine-1.5.13 on the radeon driver I get ~20 fps more, tested in the exact same area (~30-40 instead of 10-20) with the same settings folder for graphic in the game.

And the game isn't supported anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X