AMD Loses Some Linux Kernel Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    Just like everything AMD does, we will never know why (ie: CEOs, driver changelogs, etc.).
    To be fair, I suppose those particular jobs might have been temporary ? ie: update for bulldozer
    You're wrong, those guys were long time AMD staff members. It seems more like the X64 arch division of the OSRC in Dresden is shutting down...

Comment

they should fire some lawyers first if You ask me...

Comment

Firing != Layoff

Folks, please use the proper term, out of respect for the affected people. You get "fired" when you are terminated for performance or similar reasons. You are "laid off" when your position becomes redundant, or the company has no funds to pay your salary.

Cutting Linux support is crazy for a CPU company, if you ask me. Mobile computing, in particular, is being heavily dominated by Linux (android). Oh well. I guess I have no option rather buying Intel next time, and as much as some of you already said, I hate fueling a monopoly (even though I love Intel's Linux support).

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Cutting Linux support is crazy for a CPU company, if you ask me. Mobile computing, in particular, is being heavily dominated by Linux (android). Oh well. I guess I have no option rather buying Intel next time, and as much as some of you already said, I hate fueling a monopoly (even though I love Intel's Linux support).
          I wonder if they cut any Win8 developers.

Comment

very bad news. Hope this doesn't kill stability and support for us AMD users in the long run... definitely going to buy Intel/nVidia for my next machine, even if it's more expensive.. sorry AMD, but your drivers suck, and I just don't trust your long term support of Linux (my card's drivers where depreciated after only 3 years... come on).

Maybe the silver-lining here is that AMD will be forced to support Linux through the OSS driver stack (like Intel) in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
              You're wrong, those guys were long time AMD staff members. It seems more like the X64 arch division of the OSRC in Dresden is shutting down...
              Yes, that's possible. :/
              At least Herrmann and Richter are listed to work at AMD OSRC Dresden.
              Not sure about Petkov though.

Comment

Seems that AMD is joining forces with RedHat to bring ARM to servers.

At least that's what they're saying right now in a press conference.

Some random quotes:
                "AMD will be the only company to deliver both x86 and ARM solutions in the data center"
                "We believe in technology leadership...we continue to extend that in x86 and now ARM"
                "Cell phone world predicts what's coming in the server world.'
                "Does switching from ARM to x86 matter in terms of power consumption?" - "Yes - workloads are changing"
                "Interesting growth phenomena over 7 years. We think ARM 64 bit will play an important role, but x86 not going away"
                "AMD is targeting investments at higher growth segments"
                I don't know how to interpret this, though.

Comment

Folks, please use the proper term, out of respect for the affected people. You get "fired" when you are terminated for performance or similar reasons. You are "laid off" when your position becomes redundant, or the company has no funds to pay your salary.
                  To me "fired" is the same as "laid off." The only difference is the person that got laid off has no reason why. A person that got fired has a reason why. During the interview both will have to explain why they got laid off or fired. It is easy for the person that got fired why they got fired. The person that got laid off will have to come up a reason why they got laid off that does make them look bad. The person that got laid off that provides no reason is worst than a person that got fired.

LaidOff=Fired

I hope "even though I love Intel's Linux support" is sarcasm because Intel's support for Linux is so, so. Their WiFi and graphics works some what, but it could be better. There are some bugs in graphics such as when I enable TearFree it crashes X Window System while xscreensaver sends a standby command to my monitor. Also Intel graphics does a minor graphics garbled when 3D apps are used. Reliability of Intel's drivers are below average from a reputable company.

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
                    Seems that AMD is joining forces with RedHat to bring ARM to servers.

At least that's what they're saying right now in a press conference.

Some random quotes:

I don't know how to interpret this, though.
                    What about: we're in so over our heads, we think the shotgun approach makes most sense.

Comment

Hi All,

We will only be able to see the full extent and impact of the restructing being headed by Rory Read, the new CEO in 24-36 months.

AMD has to rectify it's financial position first and that means unfortunate job and workforce cuts. I hate seeing people made redundant, but lets hope Mr Read is doing the right thing and has a well planned strategy to bring AMD back and kicking.

If not, ARM based designs will have to upt their ante to start competing in the mainstream Desktop arena.

You could thoeratically Squeeze 16-32 ARM Based Cores into a reasonlabe modern dat CPU sized package and distribute the workload for a highly threaded optimized system.
                      Now single thread performance will be with Intel, but if software is better developed and written you could actually get a competitive system if you built it like that.

Samsung to step up anyone?

Share your thoughts!

Kind Regards,
                      AG

Comment

Working...
                      X