Benchmarking The Ubuntu "Low-Jitter" Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Paradox Uncreated

Which of your games runs with 60 fps and has got "jitter" on your systems?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @Paradox Uncreated

Which of your games runs with 60 fps and has got "jitter" on your systems?
      afterfall insanity...
      smite
      giant citizen kabuto and many other games from 2005 to 2012. [of cource under windows]

Comment

• Wow, how about some games that run with linux like dhewm3, doom 3 bfg (wine), rage (wine)?

Comment

• enemy territory

Comment

• Videojitter on youtube now is very low, on my machine, btw. So not only is doom 3 running extremely well, but even unsynced videos. Ofcourse as I write, videos need to be synced to completely get rid of it.

Peace Be With You.
            Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 27 October 2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• And yeah, about disk i/o, I just had opera read a ton of mail, while watching low-jitter video in another window. So much for that "disk i/o".

Comment

• edit: outdated links.

Comment

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_lat...pital_markets)

“every millisecond lost results in $100m per annum in lost opportunity”.

Drivers low latency development I guess..
                  Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 27 October 2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• edit: Outdated.
                    Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 27 October 2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• LOL... and yet i never said a god damn thing about sunnism or any of that other non-sense...nor did i associate you with it. it's funny how you jump to the conclusion that i did though ~ in the future you might want to stop for a second or two and actually put on your critical thinking hat before you speak, since that has pretty much zero relevance to anything anyway.

...okay Genius, so you claim no one has a clue on anything except (unsurprisingly) you. You know what happens when you make your changes to fair.c (ridding the 10ms averager bit) when using VMware??? I do. The system will halt badly / unresponsive when suspending VMs for a period of time - without touching that code, the problem does not exist at all. (on 2 systems much higher specs than your core2duo - ie: i7 and Phenom II x4). <sarcasm>but I guess that averager is pointless - since people don't actually use multitasking with many demanding applications on modern computers (ie: not C64/amiga days). Really all we should care about is getting an extra 2 FPS in Doom3 - because doom3 is such an important part of computing. it's really all thaty matters</sarcasm> LOL.

and again, you already said RT was pretty much deprecated in your mind because your 3.5.4-low jitter kernel, yet here a week or so later you now are basing your LJ kernel around it - with all of your superior knowledge to everyone else, why would you do such contradictory things. it just comes across as (you) not really knowing what you are doing. 2ndly, as far as i know, you cannot compile CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y without threadedirqs, but feel free to post a citation/link where people are doing that.... 3rdly, i have doubts in your superior knowledge claims, when just looking at your rt-linux-user-list posts it's pretty obvious you are asking for help with some pretty silly mistakes (like the rootdevice thing).... and really, you act like your a kernel developer (who THINKS he knows better than anyone else), yet you don't even know how to collect logging information?? wtf?

but do feel free to actually make counter arguments (if you are able to do that), so far it just seems like you revert to childish remarks that are nothing more than religious fanaticism or just total rubbish, when asked about things or confronted. You should also be posting metrics you go with your numbers, you've been asked by people here, LKML (where you admitted that all your tweaks we based on nothing more than your own subjective observations). Subjectivity doesn't sit well, for very obvious reasons. You should also be posting your sources so we can run a diff on them to see what you've actually done to 3.5.4 or 3.6.2/3-rt ...

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_lat...pital_markets)

“every millisecond lost results in $100m per annum in lost opportunity”.

NO NO NO Ninez only wants COTTAGING..
                      So far you kernel does NOT perform for my applications nearly as well as RT. You were the one whom said RT wasn't needed, yet it is RT linux which often powers such markets, not your 'slightly' modified 3.5.4 kernel; https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pell=1&ct=clnk

You argue the throughput thing, yet i've heard RT-developers discuss this very subject, Intel covers it in their paper on RT linux / threaded IRQs; https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pell=1&ct=clnk ... and their are other such resources say similar things such as; http://versalogic.com/mediacenter/wh...p_linux_rt.asp they all say the same thing - there can be a performance penalty with RT. As VersaLogic points out " "Real-time deals with guarantees, not with raw speed." However, a quality RTOS will still deliver decent overall throughput (performance) but can sacrifice throughput for being deterministic (or predictable). In fact, many benchmarking studies on the performance of a real-time kernel against a standard kernel have found that overall performance does not decrease significantly"...

You can claim you are god and/or rationalize/use him to support everything you do as perfection, go on about cottaging, etc but it's all just garbage and non-sense. I think michael posted that article for a laugh, as well.

maybe you should actually post a diff once you figure out how to make 3.6.3-rt boot correctly, lol.
                      Last edited by ninez; 24 October 2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X