No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Ubuntu "Low-Jitter" Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gamer2k completely misses both the point and the benchmark again, and states an old argument not relevant to this about "latency vs throughput". So if you increase latency on a c64, does it get more throughout? (*laugh here*)

And indeed financial data, needs computation power and "throughput" aswell. Some pretty hardcore hardconvolution is often run on that aswell. Start multiplying that with 1000 stocks, and you need the kind of power, that Intel sees to be a market for this.

Obviously some people think jitter is "disk-io". If you have reduced "disk-io" with there being the same disk i/o, you know jitter is lower. (lol)

Indeed if jitter on a c64 was 20ms, very little sensible would happen on screen, reducing "throughput" in a ridicolous way.
    And ofcourse os-jitter blocks the usage of CPU, meaning the blocked amount of CPU goes up with cpu-cores. Imagine the loss on a 1000cpu computer.

Peace Be With You.
    Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 19 October 2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I am wondering why you don't play games on your c64 then.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
        I think I wrote most of the changes I did here: http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268
        I have not found any mention of the kernel config options you used. I can't even find them on the blog. Can you post them somewhere?

Comment

Kano, I do, and you should try Mega Apocalypse to get an idea of how fun a low-jitter game can be. And then boot back in to high-level OS paradigms where there is latency, and get an idea of what I think of those.

Originally posted by aceman View Post
          I have not found any mention of the kernel config options you used. I can't even find them on the blog. Can you post them somewhere?
          I post a lot there. Was there anything in specific? I can post the whole .config for 3.6.2 shaved local, which you can take inspiration from. PS, not full distro config.

Peace Be With you.

(I also did some edits, but they are documented on the blog)

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
            I post a lot there. Was there anything in specific? I can post the whole .config for 3.6.2 shaved local, which you can take inspiration from. PS, not full distro config.

(I also did some edits, but they are documented on the blog)
            Thanks at least for this full config.
            Some list of the specific options you think must be set would be nice, e.g. a diff to the distro config.
            Also, I wonder where do you get the CONFIG_HZ_90 option, when vanilla kernel has a 100Hz option. Also I wonder why the lowest value is best, when the kernel config says the highest (1000Hz) option is for low-latency.

Comment

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_Project

Tron OS did realtime in 1984. Was forced off the market by MS.
              MS sees cp/m, copies it, Sells it to you.
              MS sees unix windowmanager, copies it, sells it to you as windows, now with extreme latency. The very other end of realtime you might say. (nontime? sleepingbag-time?)
              MS sees windowsblinds, copies it, another service on top of a poor scheduler and sells it to you.
              200 things in modern windows OS, can be turned off, leaving a BETTER computer. What are they doing being developed, and included in the price of the product sold to you?
              MS teaches obscure non-streamlined windows menus, and encourages people to not turn off these things, buying their whole corporate propaganda, and certifies people for this? What do you call that?

Linux is open-source, and can be modified by anyone, patches are often made in days, and emails to developers read in minutes.
              By the time a fix may already be suggested on LKML, you have reached "I need to establish identiy please, I cannot hear you please" on MS support, phone to another country.

And that is ofcourse just some of it.

And then MS lanches it`s own OS, as a cure for headaches in their current (they did this with 98)

It`s mad,

Peace Be With You.
              Last edited by Paradox Ethereal; 27 October 2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

My kernels are faster and more responsive ... and energy consumption + my script APM at most 40-60% of standard solutions

Kubuntu 12.04 działające pod MSI X370 AMD APU E-350:mój kernel: 3.6.2-ext73-f1-21.0-64-brazos-ags-cfsobciążenie maszyny cały czas 100 % na oba rdzenie proces...

MSi X37- praca pod Kubuntu 12.04 + moje rozwiązani: skrypt APM, nastawy cpufreqd, kernel 3.6.2-ext73-f1-21.0-brazos-ags-cfs, wpisy w GRub [ACPI]Minimalne zuż...

greetings

e X t 7 3

Comment

Think about that MS, caused a latency in innovation the size of 30 years. Now ofcourse modern OSs are resembling real-time more and more. You could have had that in 1984. That is what agressive profit-philosphies get you.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

And what is this? Do you need to be a rocketscientist to understand this?

Comment

Here, predicting trends in 1966, http://www.drdobbs.com/if-you-cant-s...t-of/184404040

Nodoubt without "os-jitter".

Peace Be With You.

Comment

Working...
                      X