X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ownagefool
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Well frankly, sometimes it's even worse, it might take 3-4 seconds to delete a few files worth of like 6GB, while on a window$ system it takes less than a second to do the same thing, often in a blink of an eye.
    My windows doesn't delete 6GB of data instantly (not saying yours doesn't, but mines doesn't). Sure, it'll move it to the bin quickly, but if I ask for an actual delete, I'll need to wait a few seconds.

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    As in takes 1 second as opposed to 0.1 seconds?
    Well frankly, sometimes it's even worse, it might take 3-4 seconds to delete a few files worth of like 6GB, while on a window$ system it takes less than a second to do the same thing, often in a blink of an eye.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Unlike lanyardfs, this one actually has a point. It'll maximize the life of the flash.

btrfs will not do that. Any generic fs will not do that.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Another filesystem..

offtopic: why does it take (much) longer to delete files on Linux filesystems than on window$' Fat32/NTFS? Even from Linux deleting from the fat32/ntfs happens quickly, while on ext4/btrs it's like 10-100 times slower.
    Perhaps journaling has something to do with it.

I too am rolling my eyes at another FS. Seriously why are all of these new ones being made? We need to get rid of others and combine them with the currently best ones. btrfs is really the only new FS that shouldn't be discarded since it seems to combine every feature of every FS known. Doesn't it even have an option for flash memory?

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    offtopic: why does it take (much) longer to delete files on Linux filesystems than on window$' Fat32/NTFS? Even from Linux deleting from the fat32/ntfs happens quickly, while on ext4/btrs it's like 10-100 times slower.
    As in takes 1 second as opposed to 0.1 seconds?

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Another filesystem..

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Samsung Introduces New Linux File-System: F2FS

Samsung Introduces New Linux File-System: F2FS

Phoronix: Samsung Introduces New Linux File-System: F2FS

Announced this morning on the kernel mailing list was F2FS, a new open-source Linux file-system that comes courtesy of Samsung...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X