Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 3.7 Kernel Is Going To Be A Beast

Phoronix: The Linux 3.7 Kernel Is Going To Be A Beast

The Linux 3.6 kernel isn't even one week old, but the Linux 3.7 kernel is already looking very exciting with enough changes for an open-source enthusiast to be giddy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exactly who is stopping you from using PPA's?
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 05 October 2012, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Linux kernel 3.7 is great for ARM.

Personally, I would like to see the nouveau driver support Wayland.

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      And we're stuck to 3.5 for another 6 months in Ubuntu...Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        And we're stuck to 3.5 for another 6 months in Ubuntu...Yay.

Comment

I love the clever comments of people using non-rolling distributions bitching about their distributions not being rolling...

Comment

smap - a cloud feature?

smap - is it a cloud feature?

Enabling cloud service providers to be undeniable ethical to customers?

All left-over interventional kernel functions into user-virtual space are unmutable logged by journald?

Comment

Will this be the good one?

How many times I read this one? "the next kernel will boost your GPU" and, kernel after kernel, the performance is more or less the same, and the new incredible features will be "merged in the next version". Always the next. For years.
              Why are you so sure the 3.7 will do the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by freedam View Post
                I love the clever comments of people using non-rolling distributions bitching about their distributions not being rolling...
                Why don't people set up separate /home partitions?

I've always done this, and from what I experience this whole "rolling distribution" vs "non-rolling distribution" is a nonsensical argument.

Format the / partition, and when the "new" operating system comes up after installation it inherits all of the prior settings that still reside in /home. It takes minutes to select the various apps I use, and the let the computer do all the work installing. Done. Now I'm on the "new" operating system, and it's a clean install which is good to do every now and then anyways.

What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by freedam View Post
                  Probably better to be non-rolling than my Arch install that bricks itself every month - till I fix it manually!!

New kernels meh...

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                    Probably better to be non-rolling than my Arch install that bricks itself every month - till I fix it manually!!

New kernels meh...

Bob
                    I never have issues with Arch. I really wonder what people do to their installations...

And new kernels are a must-have for those of us with new computers. When I made the jump from 3.1 to 3.4 in opensuse (before I used arch), it was a night a day difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X