The Linux 3.7 Kernel Is Going To Be A Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    And we're stuck to 3.5 for another 6 months in Ubuntu...Yay.
    Yeah, and you're shielded from new problems that spawned in 3.7, so by the time you get it, some things are hopefully rectified.

I stopped using bleeding edge after running into way too many problems almost daily. You just can't use a computer as a computer then, it's always something that needs fixing...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      Yeah, and you're shielded from new problems that spawned in 3.7, so by the time you get it, some things are hopefully rectified.

I stopped using bleeding edge after running into way too many problems almost daily. You just can't use a computer as a computer then, it's always something that needs fixing...
      That may have been the case for you but it's certainly not 'the truth' as there are lots of us running bleeding edge distros like Arch and Gentoo. I've been running Arch for 5 years (closing in on 6) and during that time I've had one showstopper bug which was a kernel upgrade where changes to my network card driver made the system unstable under severe loads which forced me to downgrade the kernel until it was later fixed in a minor kernel update.

There's no way I could use a system on a day-to-day basis even if it crashed only once a week, maybe if you enable the 'testing' repo you will encounter lots of bugs and problems, I don't know as I've never enabled it (there's bleeding edge and there's BLEEDING EDGE) but I'm very thankful to those brave souls who serves as the guinea pigs so that packages are working fine once they hit core.

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing against using distros with a fixed upgrade path and older better tested packages, I'm just pointing out that using a bleeding edge distro does not equal 'daily fixing' or crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
        I never have issues with Arch. I really wonder what people do to their installations...
        There was that one recently with the /lib being moved to /usr I think, or something like that. And since people aren't subbed to the mailing list, there was tons of forum action a few days with broken systems, lol

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
        (I boot of a Sammy 830 SSD after all). After boot KDE takes care of any speed gains I might have gained from systemd
        rofl, same here.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
          There was that one recently with the /lib being moved to /usr I think, or something like that. And since people aren't subbed to the mailing list, there was tons of forum action a few days with broken systems, lol
          The change was also plasted on the front webpage together with a description of why it required manual intervention and a link to a wiki entry which dealt with troubleshooting should the upgrade not go smoothly so there was no need to be subscribing to the mailing list in order to be aware of this.

If an upgrade fails you'd logically look at the frontpage and/or forum to see if there are any information on the issue as it is clear evidence that something isn't right, however instead some people decided to delete (!) the files which could not be updated automatically which left them with a broken system, go figure...

Comment

Working...
          X