Qt5's Linux Requirements Cause Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy doesn't know what he's saying

QT5 supports OpenGL/ES but does not make calls to X at all.X is going to be replaced remember?

From qt-project.org:

"Qt 5 enables highly sophisticated user experiences, offering applications the full capabilities of OpenGL/OpenGL ES graphics acceleration."

From the earlier phoronix story, "MeeGo Tablet UX Can Already Run On Wayland?":

"Qt-Lighthouse is the Window System Agnostic port of Qt. This means that Qt doesn't know what windowing system it runs on, but pushes this logic into plugins. In practical terms, this means that libQtGui will not link against xlib or any xcb libraries."

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      What Michael isn't realizing is that Phoronix's credibility plummets towards zero with each article he posts lately. Most people already don't consider anything reported by Phoronix as being worth reading.
      Then piss off. Seriously, if you don't like Micael?s way he runs this site, just go away. Nobody is forcing you to stay here.
      I, for one, will stay here. Michael may not be a journalist, but unlike ?tech journalism? of the past 5, 10 or so years, at least he does the busywork to dig through mailing lists etc.
      There is no other site I'm aware of that posts X.org, Mesa, ? news as Phoronix does. OSNews came close at some point but then Thom Horvelda (or whatever the asshole?s name is spelled) took over the site and started to randomly ban people who didn?t violate the site?s rules (but simply disagreed with him), I was glad to find a new home here.

PTS may be flawed, the RSS feeds may be too crippled but for my taste of FOSS news this site is still better than anything else.

Comment

This is the worst "article" I have ever read on Phoronix. Micheal's articles may not be the best, but at least they contain useful information, this here is just pure ****
        Clearly the author has no idea what he is even posting about...
        QX11Info is actually been worked on: codereview.qt-project.org/#change,26714

I will continue to read Phoronix since it does have lots of information I enjoy reading, but more of these terrible posts will definitely make me stop reading.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          The "native" render engine might be faster, but it's buggy. Fonts don't render correctly (kerning seems to not be applied at all.)
          Arial is rendered same in qtperf4 with native and raster on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            Qt 4 is 6.5 times slower with raster engine than with native engine on Intel G33 graphics card
            I've been looking for a means of getting some metrics of driver performance from Qt, can you tell me where I might subscribe to your newsletter^W^W^W^W find qtperf?

google fails me, http://code.google.com/p/qtperf, just gives me an empty repository and there seems to be no obvious binary packaged by Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
              I've been looking for a means of getting some metrics of driver performance from Qt, can you tell me where I might subscribe to your newsletter^W^W^W^W find qtperf?

google fails me, http://code.google.com/p/qtperf, just gives me an empty repository and there seems to be no obvious binary packaged by Debian.
              source code http://qtperf.googlecode.com/files/qtperf-0.2.1.tar.gz

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
                There is a link to a github repository under "External links" on the left side.
                If Debian is not a hard requirement for measuring driver performance, you will find a Gentoo ebuild here, an (out-of-date) Arch PKGBUILD here and openSUSE RPMs here.

Comment

As posted here, a lot of people are saying that if you don't like the "articles" (aka ranting blog posts), then leave. Between the blog posts and enough trolls to make slashdot look positively peaceful, that's a damned good idea. I stopped reading the posts long ago, but instead skipped straight to the forums, going back to read something if I felt the need. The next step is removing the RSS feed, and then finding the proper way to remove my profile from this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Then piss off.
                    *plonk*

Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                      Arial is rendered same in qtperf4 with native and raster on my PC.
                      Arial is only one font. And it sucks under Linux anyway. It's not meant for FreeType.

Comment

Working...
                      X