Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt5's Linux Requirements Cause Problems

Phoronix: Qt5's Linux Requirements Cause Problems

With XCB being a requirement for the Linux version of Qt 5.0, and Xlib not being supported, it's causing problems for some wishing to adopt this forthcoming tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt 5 is using the raster engine, so no GUI operation is actually hardware accelerated (that model of accelerating "lines" and "triangles" on 2D GUIs has been outdated for years now on most modern operating systems.) So using XCB is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Qt 5 is using the raster engine, so no GUI operation is actually hardware accelerated (that model of accelerating "lines" and "triangles" on 2D GUIs has been outdated for years now on most modern operating systems.) So using XCB is fine.
      Yeah, fine. Why? Why do we need yet another useless dependency on mono stuff? What was the reasoning for this change?

I haven't heard any good reasons yet. It looks like Qt is going down the shitter and then I'll have to stop using KDE unless they fix it with a fork.

Comment

It's about fucking time a major toolkit is progressing towards xcb in the year of 2012. If the proprietary driver( vendor)s are left out in the rain because of this - well, I couldn't care any less about this, I guess.

Comment

XCB is *NOT MONO*!

Somebody made a post saying that using XCB means you are relying on Mono... that is a completely factually wrong statement and I'm a little confused as to how anyone could even come up with something that weird.

A little more seriously, could the original writer of the rant look into using EGL instead of GLX? Apparently GLX is quickly on its way to deprecation anyway, so EGL could be the right way to go. I'm not sure what sort of functionality he needs, but I hope that the XCB bindings (or another API interface) would give it to him. If he is just writing a window manager then I'm not sure why he needs low-level access to the guts of OpenGL anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by dolo View Post
            Yeah, fine. Why? Why do we need yet another useless dependency on mono stuff? What was the reasoning for this change?

I haven't heard any good reasons yet. It looks like Qt is going down the shitter and then I'll have to stop using KDE unless they fix it with a fork.
            I think you're confusing something here. XCB has nothing to do with Mono. This is XCB:

It has been around for a long time and is a better way to get to X11 compared to using Xlib.

Comment

Qt5 is OpenGL based right
              Can you show us where you fetching this information from? Sounds completely wrong.

Comment

The reason I am soooo pissed is because I have been writing a new Qt Desktop Environment for the last 1-1/2 years and Qt devs broke it by removing the QX11 API's. And my new desktop is blazzzzzzing rubber melting FAST!!!!
                Mind revealing the mysterious DE? "Steven Starr" isn't listed as an author at neither http://razor-qt.org/ nor http://www.maui-project.org/, and those are the only two emerging Qt DEs I'm aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
                  Can you show us where you fetching this information from? Sounds completely wrong.
                  Qt 5 QML is OpenGL based (even on MS Windows):

"In Qt 5, all QML applications are rendered with an OpenGL scenegraph architecture rather than the Graphics View framework used in Qt 4."

Qt 5 widgets, however, are not using GL.

Comment

Hmm

It means that they're forcing us to install and use XCB that doesn't support Hardware Accelerated Graphics using your ATI/NVIDIA binary drivers. And it ends up reverting back and using XLIB/GLX anyways.
                    Xlib is based on xcb these days anyway - so I don't get your agrument. In the end it saves you one dependency.
                    Furthermore, this has nothing to do with hardware acceleration or not. Just the API talking to the X server changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X