Why Mono Is Desirable For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdias View Post
    Sorry, but where did you get the information that World of Goo and Bastion are made with Mono?
    Bastion definitely IS a Mono game.

The MonoGame.Framework.Linux.dll in the Bastion install folder is a good hint.

Comment

Originally posted by XapaJIaMnu View Post
      just because, obviously, C# is the only high level language, only C# allows small teams of people to create games.
      Oh wait! Java is a high level language!
      Oh wait! C# was created with the intention of being java cloning for windows.
      Oh wait! Minecraft was written in Java.

As for the author of the article. "...Uses C# among other languages"
      Question: Why would you use C# if you could use anything else at all.
      (Obvious) answer. Because someone pays you to do so.
      Minecraft being a clone of C#-based Infiniminer, of course, if you want to pursue the "clones are evil" line.

And if you look at the prevalence of games using XNA versus LWJGL (which are beginning to see MonoGame ports as that project matures), or the utter domination of Mono-based Unity3D in the indie game space (with Unity 4.0 heralding a world of Linux ports), then that might provide a few hints as to the validity of Sidicas' argument.

Comment

Is this article for real or was Phoronix hacked by an advertising company?

Comment

I believe that the majority of the resistance to C# adoption has little to do with the language, and much to do with MS. I like C# as much as I like Java. It makes writing middleware logic a breeze to the point where I can write and navigate code as I think. I feel that java is more desirable for non-gui applications and .Net is more desirable for GUI applications. I would love to see the stability of the mono runtime improve a bit, as I have had a couple bad experiences in the enterprise.

The entire patent argument may be moot, but is part of a larger fear. The fear is that somehow MS will find a way to screw us. They have done so in the past, they will do so in the future. I cannot help but feel a hefty amount of paranoia every time I see C# running on linux. Its uncomfortable and I don't like it.

I hope the author is right. I hope mono does great things for the linux desktop. I hope MS doesn't pull another SCO or some new trick.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            I like C# as much as I like Java.
            Yep, same here. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Is this article for real or was Phoronix hacked by an advertising company?
              It's not the most coherently argued text I've seen on the topic, certainly.

Comment

Nonsensical article that does nothing to describe why Mono is Desirable for Linux!!

Mono suppose to be an implementation of .NET stuff.
                It does not work very well. And Mono has a lot of differences in functionalities provided from windows .NET.

Important fact about .NET, it suppose to be language independent. So you can perfectly fine write applications in C++ using FCL functions. .NET projects get compiled to msil code anyway.

There are all these Mono projects such as pinta (port of Paint.NET) which show how much the point of .NET is missed. If you have to change something to port your project on code of the program itself, code that has to do with distribution on a system is a separate case, it is a fail.

Comment

This just in, article full of marketing fluff about flammable topic guarantees page views + long forum thread

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                    Minecraft being a clone of C#-based Infiniminer, of course, if you want to pursue the "clones are evil" line.

And if you look at the prevalence of games using XNA versus LWJGL (which are beginning to see MonoGame ports as that project matures), or the utter domination of Mono-based Unity3D in the indie game space (with Unity 4.0 heralding a world of Linux ports), then that might provide a few hints as to the validity of Sidicas' argument.
                    Seriously? Are you comparing XNA with LWJGL? The TAO framework which I guess MonoGame are based on are comparable to LWJGL.

XNA are a high level scene graph engine, not a low level API.

It would be fully possible to implement MonoGame on top of LWJGL. Thats the relationship MonoGame and LWJGL could have with each other.

AgentFX, Ardor3D or jMonkey are things you can compare with MonoGame.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                      Nonsensical article that does nothing to describe why Mono is Desirable for Linux!!

Mono suppose to be an implementation of .NET stuff.
                      It does not work very well. And Mono has a lot of differences in functionalities provided from windows .NET.

Important fact about .NET, it suppose to be language independent. So you can perfectly fine write applications in C++ using FCL functions. .NET projects get compiled to msil code anyway.

There are all these Mono projects such as pinta (port of Paint.NET) which show how much the point of .NET is missed. If you have to change something to port your project on code of the program itself, code that has to do with distribution on a system is a separate case, it is a fail.
                      Unfortunately there are not open source compiler for C++ to CIL. Nor are there any Java compier. There are a closed source C++ compiler that are not publicly available. Also there are a JVM for .NET.

Comment

Working...
                      X