No announcement yet.

Why Mono Is Desirable For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait a moment. Mono for Android and iOS is proprietary/commercial? If this is the case, then they can keep their shit for themselves.

Comment

• Btw @Michael how much did Mono pay you for this advertising article? Don't tell me you posted it for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Btw @Michael how much did Mono pay you for this advertising article? Don't tell me you posted it for free.
        You think anyone would pay for an article of that quality?

Michael likes Mono articles because they cause forum flamewars, which cause an above average number of advert impressions on the forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by directhex View Post
          Big games aren't written in one language. The graphics engine is written in one thing, in-game object scripting is another, and so on. For example, Civilization 4 uses Python for everything other than the graphics engine; Civilization 5 uses Lua; The Sims 3 uses Mono.
          I didn't said that big games use one lang, because for scripts (this isn't the hardest and the largest part of the game code) games use specialized langs eg. Python, Lua, AngelScript, Mono etc, but remember that scripts are only a part of a Game Logic Layer. For other parts like Graphic (for shaders GLSL/HLSL depend on a graphic subsystem, sometimes Cg too), Physic, Audio, AI (I don't mean pseudo AI created by scripts here), binding with scripts etc. are wrote in C/C++ for these games and this is the most important and the largest part of a game code (currently C++ is the only right choose here).

Comment

• Mono on Linux is desirable for m$ only. Linux will become the main platform when it gets games, so m$ wants to pollute it with mono. Ever heard of m$ patents FUD? Did you ever wondered where those 200+ patents violations lay? They lay in mono. Just say fu*k you Icaza, m$ and have a nice day.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Mono on Linux is desirable for m$ only. Linux will become the main platform when it gets games, so m$ wants to pollute it with mono.
              Know who Microsoft has more to fear from on the games front than Linux? Sony.

Know who has no problem with the safety of using Mono? Sony.

Who do I trust more. A company with an army of lawyers saying "it's fine" or incoherent ramblings on a web forum?

Ever heard of m$ patents FUD?
              That's what you're engaged in. Trying to harm a Free Software project, and trying to harm people moving from Windows to Linux, by saying "STOP! Keep using Windows, or Microsoft will sue you! It's true, I read it on Boycott Novell!"

Did you ever wondered where those 200+ patents violations lay? They lay in mono. Just say fu*k you Icaza, m$ and have a nice day.
              That's... spectacularly moronic, even for Phoronix. Congratulations!

Originally posted by Ballmer
              The company claims that the Linux kernel violates 42 patents, the Linux graphical interface violates 65, the Open Office suite - which is available for several platforms including Mac OS X - violates 65 patents, email applications are violating 15, and other assorted applications violate another 68 patents.
              So, tell me, where are you getting your "200+ patent violations in Mono" figure from? I mean, other than putting it out of your ass?

Those are the claimed number of violations - and most of them are in OpenOffice.org.

Comment

• Mono is not a alternative to ms .NET. They promote .net .

Linux today does not need a ms-controlled language/API. There are a lot of good tools for programming. Even eiffel have a good GPL IDE .

Pypy is opensource.Eclipse and netbeans opensource .LLVM is opensource .A lot of programming languages are opensource today.

Comment

• Originally posted by lapis View Post
                  Mono is not a alternative to ms .NET. They promote .net .
                  "PyPy is not an alternative to Jython. It promotes Python"

Not very coherent, is it?

Mono is, absolutely, an alternative to Microsoft.NET. By definition, all implementations of ECMA334/335 are alternatives to each other. And, yes, that means promotion of the base spec, the same way a plethora of Python or Ruby implementations promotes Python or Ruby in general.

Linux today does not need a ms-controlled language/API. There are a lot of good tools for programming. Even eiffel have a good GPL IDE .
                  As we went over last time, and you pretended not to read, the .NET API and C# language are controlled by the following:
                  • Eiffel Software
                  • Kahu Research
                  • Microsoft Corporation
                  • Novell Corporation
                  • Twin Roots
                  • Borland
                  • Fujitsu Software Corporation
                  • Hewlett-Packard
                  • Intel Corporation
                  • IBM Corporation
                  • IT University of Copenhagen
                  • Jagger Software Ltd.
                  • Monash University
                  • Netscape
                  • Phone.Com
                  • Plum Hall
                  • Sun Microsystems
                  • ActiveState
                  • CSK Corp.
                  • Jaggersoft (UK)
                  • Mountain View Compiler
                  • Pixo
                  • University of Canterbury (NZ)

Note, in particular, that most of these entries don't actually say "Microsoft". In fact, only one does: the one marked "Microsoft"

And, as we went over last time, notice that the company behind your beloved Eiffel is in fact one of the entities behind .NET

Pypy is opensource.Eclipse and netbeans opensource .LLVM is opensource .A lot of programming languages are opensource today.
                  Yeah, and know what else is open source? Anything released under an open source license. Including, say, the contents of github.com/mono

Comment

• I just love how MS pays trolls to spend whole day astroturfing. From Miguel to directhex, they got us all covered

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      I just love how MS pays trolls to spend whole day astroturfing. From Miguel to directhex, they got us all covered
                      I just love how Phoronix attracts the kind of diseased conspiracy theorist minds that cannot even begin to conceive of a universe without a bogeyman under the bed

Comment

Working...
                      X