No announcement yet.

ALSA: Audio Compression Offloading, Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Xonar D1 I have here, I can enable a thing called "Dolby Headphone" on Windows (no idea whether that's a DSP thing or just pure software.) And it actually works; when I first tried it, I was expecting some crappy proccessing done to get some form of cheap "surround" illusion, like that "Creative CMSS-3D" thing that never worked. But in fact I was surpised to be able to hear sounds coming from several directions even though the headphones are plain stereo.

I don't think we'll ever see that on Linux?

Comment

you will RealNC, when they write the driver part for that card that uses that part of the chip(most support openAL)

fireface(~1281 Euro):

Dynamic range DA: 116 dB RMS unweighted, 119 dBA (unmuted)
      THD DA: < -103 dB (< 0.0007 %)
      THD+N DA: < -100 dB (< 0.001 %)
      Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB

xonar DX(~72 euro):

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):
      116dB for front-out, 112dB for other channels dB
      Input Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):
      112 dB
      Output THD+N at 1kHz:
      0.00056% (-105dB) for Front-out
      Input THD+N at 1kHz:
      0.0004% (-108dB) for Line-in

im sorry i cant test them, i dont have the money for a good digital oscilloscope (id be jumping around for joy if i got one)

to defend the price of you card, its made for low latency routing, lots of throughput, high output impendance etc.
      stuff that dosent matter that much when your playing a game or lissening to your 96k/24bit audio collection
      also the THD on the RME is probably over the whole spectrum
      but i remember some xonar's tests being rather flat too

sorry iv been aggressive, i see you know a lot more about electroacoustics and such then almost all the people i meet, but its still a science and i dont like people that say "your wrong, its not like that" then dont put any real "science" part behind it
      also i hold you for not admiting the importance of phase in 3D positioning, as it is the most part of... 3D audio positioning (even calling me dumb for pushing it when you know room acoustics and multi driver speakers can mess it up)
      (i hope you are not the person that thinks gold plated 99% silver speaker cables make any difference, if you are we have nothing to talk about)

about the bass you were right, but since bass is kinda direction agnostic(it spreads like the plauge), it has low barring on this topic

(note, i didnt know RME put a new line since the last time i checked)
      reason why good sound cards are possible cheap now is because transistor(and chips with that) manufacturing technology has gotten more precise making transistors more linear, thus reducing their THD

transistor base(as in B on the package) design changed a bit with that too lowering transistor input capacitance, making it easier to make lower noise circuits

less noisy D/A converters + rly high speed opamps = you know the rest
      and its getting cheaper

if you got an osciloscope, some time and some money, you could test the xonar DG's stereo output (other channels are far lower end)

i sound a bit like an asus advertisement, but i found only few under 1000Euro cards that can hold up to those numbers (and i trust asus not to fake them since i checked the datasheets on the D/A converters and opamps used; they could still easily fck up the filters and general pcb design, but its a big firm)

on topic a bit:

this is great news, it will reduce the cpu/memory usage by some and hopefully remove some jitter from heavier games that use said audio compression
      hope this gets on more drivers
      Last edited by gens; 31 August 2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

you will RealNC, when they write the driver part for that card that uses that part of the chip(most support openAL)

fireface(~1281 Euro):

Dynamic range DA: 116 dB RMS unweighted, 119 dBA (unmuted)
        THD DA: < -103 dB (< 0.0007 %)
        THD+N DA: < -100 dB (< 0.001 %)
        Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB

xonar DX(~72 euro):

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):
        116dB for front-out, 112dB for other channels dB
        Input Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):
        112 dB
        Output THD+N at 1kHz:
        0.00056% (-105dB) for Front-out
        Input THD+N at 1kHz:
        0.0004% (-108dB) for Line-in

im sorry i cant test them, i dont have the money for a good digital oscilloscope (id be jumping around for joy if i got one)

to defend the price of you card, its made for low latency routing, lots of throughput, high output impendance etc.
        stuff that dosent matter that much when your playing a game or lissening to your 96k/24bit audio collection
        also the THD on the RME is probably over the whole spectrum
        but i remember xonar

sorry iv been aggressive, i see you know a lot more about electroacoustics and such then almost all the people i meet, but its still a science and i dont like people that say "your wrong, its not like that" then dont put any real "science" part behind it
        also i hold you for not admiting the importance of phase in 3D positioning, as it is the most part of... 3D audio positioning (even calling me dumb for pushing it when you know room acoustics and multi driver speakers can mess it up)
        (i hope you are not the person that thinks gold plated 99% silver speaker cables make any difference, if you are we have nothing to talk about)

about the bass you were right, but since bass is kinda direction agnostic(it spreads like the plauge), it has low barring on this topic

(note, i didnt know RME put a new line since the last time i checked)
        reason why good sound cards are possible cheap now is because transistor(and chips with that) manufacturing technology has gotten more precise making transistors more linear, thus reducing their THD

transistor base(as in B on the package) design changed a bit with that too lowering transistor input capacitance, making it easier to make lower noise circuits

less noisy D/A converters + rly high speed opamps = you know the rest
        and its getting cheaper

if you got an osciloscope, some time and some money, you could test the xonar DG's stereo output (other channels are far lower end)

i sound a bit like an asus advertisement, but i found only few under 1000Euro cards that can hold up to those numbers (and i trust asus not to fake them since i checked the datasheets on the D/A converters and opamps used; they could still easily fck up the filters and general pcb design, but its a big firm)

on topic a bit:

this is great news, it will reduce the cpu/memory usage by some and hopefully remove some jitter from heavier games that use said audio compression
        hope this gets on more drivers

Comment

i have xonar dx1 on my personal pc with 2 tosil newmildton 80. i think its ok, but my maudio delt1010LT in studio is 10 times better.

cant compare xonar to integrated shit or with shit creative. its still way better.

Comment

Can X11 fight dinosaurs with bare hands?

Comment

Working...
            X