Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.0 Beta Not Here Due To Difficulties

Phoronix: Qt 5.0 Beta Not Here Due To Difficulties

While the Qt 5.0 Beta was supposed to be out in July, it was changed to release the Qt 5 beta in early August. We're now half-way through August and there's no signs of an imminent beta. It's now been said that "some things have been a bit more difficult lately" leading to a delay in Qt5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt5 looks very sad on KDE. It's quite ironic; under Gnome, Qt5 looks excellent. Under KDE, it looks like ass.

So for now, if you value how your app behaves and looks under KDE, do not use Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Qt5 looks very sad on KDE. It's quite ironic; under Gnome, Qt5 looks excellent. Under KDE, it looks like ass.

So for now, if you value how your app behaves and looks under KDE, do not use Qt5.
      Eh what?
      Screenshots or something? Maybe Qt5 style is set to GTK and you have to change it? Even if it is set to GTK, oxygen-gtk should resolve that if it's installed.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
        Eh what?
        Screenshots or something? Maybe Qt5 style is set to GTK and you have to change it? Even if it is set to GTK, oxygen-gtk should resolve that if it's installed.
        It's not possible to work. You can't load Qt4 plugins (Oxygen) using Qt5. The platform plugin also doesn't work, so settings are ignored too (for example colors, double-click vs single-click to open files in file dialogs, etc, etc.)

It pretty much means "stick to Qt4 for now".

Comment

It's not possible to work. You can't load Qt4 plugins (Oxygen) using Qt5. The platform plugin also doesn't work, so settings are ignored too (for example colors, double-click vs single-click to open files in file dialogs, etc, etc.)

What are you talking about? There is already Oxygen for Qt 5. Look at the screenshots here: http://www.kdab.com/porting-from-qt-4-to-qt-5/

Comment

Well how does it work on Gnome? It would be using either GTK2 or GTK3 with qgtkstyle? Oxygen GTK theme is a perfect clone of oxygen as a GTK theme. So it should work with that, unless I am mistaken.
            Also Qt5 isn't out yet, so it isn't a huge shock there is no support in KDE 4.x. Most Qt apps on linux are KDE apps anyways so they will still use Qt4.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
              Well how does it work on Gnome? It would be using either GTK2 or GTK3 with qgtkstyle? Oxygen GTK theme is a perfect clone of oxygen as a GTK theme. So it should work with that, unless I am mistaken.
              Running Oxygen-Gtk for Qt applications is not supported. I reported the bugs when doing so, and I was told explicitly that it's not supposed to work. It's only for Gtk applications.

Also Qt5 isn't out yet, so it isn't a huge shock there is no support in KDE 4.x. Most Qt apps on linux are KDE apps anyways so they will still use Qt4.
              When Qt5 comes out, we still won't be able to load Qt4 plugins in it. It's architecturally impossible. Qt5 will be tabu to use for years to come because of this.

Here's a screenshot, btw. Also notice how the font rendering in Qt5 is way off (to the right, in case it's not blatantly obvious which is which):

Comment

Running Oxygen-Gtk for Qt applications is not supported. I reported the bugs when doing so, and I was told explicitly that it's not supposed to work. It's only for Gtk applications.

When Qt5 comes out, we still won't be able to load Qt4 plugins in it. It's architecturally impossible. Qt5 will be tabu to use for years to come because of this.

Here's a screenshot, btw. Also notice how the font rendering in Qt5 is way off (to the right, in case it's not blatantly obvious which is which):

http://i46.tinypic.com/j607tk.png
                Maybe I don't undertsnad how Oxygen GTK works. I thought It was a GTK theme like any other, if we set the GTK theme to oxygen-gtk, and tell Qt to use qgtkstyle to emulate the GTK theme it should work? How else does it work on gnome? Am I missing something?

At least Qt5 apps pick up on the KDE colour scheme.

As for the font rendering, that looks pretty disjointed. Is it a bug that is going to be fixed or are we stuck with it?

Comment

Uhm? It's just using the Plastic widget theme.

Comment

Try with qtconfig -> Gui style

If it doesn't work you can always force a gtk theme somehow and use oxygen-gtk as it has already been said

Comment

Working...
                    X