Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Go read Digias blog. You might also find it interesting how much effort Digia is putting into finding new markets. No love for Linux.
    You sir are either a troll or an idiot or both.

Comment

No actually you are wrong. Thanks anyway. It is nice to clarify Nokias former position; Fuck Qt on the desktop.

These days Nokia is a bit more harsh;

"Dear all users of Qt, fuck you, fuck phones, fuck desktops and fuck linux. But thanks for all the code you CLAed."

With love and lulz, yours truly
      ELOP
      Erm, I was right. My point was the patch delta was unintentional and out of digia's control. My quote proves it was.
      Why should Nokia put tons of money into desktop Qt, they only really needed Qt for symbian and meego and now that they do not they are downsizing. There is no point in keeping Qt. With Digia they care about embedded and desktop as well as mobile so more work will go into Qt.

Now none of this would happen if Nokia didn't shoot themselves in the foot, I am not denying nokia has gone downhill and Elop is a total loser. That doesn't make Qt non free software.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
        So all that you have said about no linux love, nonfree addons is pure bullshit and FUD, while I can prove what I say with sources.
        It really is a shame you didnt read one blog further. Here is a piece of some stinking non-LGPL s***.

Now you are just making your self look bad.

And what about the future? Nokia is already ripping stuff out of Qt5. Let me give you a hint. Some similar but closed source add ons might surface from Digia one day. A crippled Qt core for everyone and all the features and fixes from Digia. Really nice future eh?

Comment

It really is a shame you didnt read one blog further. Here is a piece of some stinking non-LGPL s***.

Now you are just making your self look bad.

And what about the future? Nokia is already ripping stuff out of Qt5. Let me give you a hint. Some similar but closed source add ons might surface from Digia one day. A crippled Qt core for everyone and all the features and fixes from Digia. Really nice future eh?
          First this is basically what Qwt does. Qwt is not mainline but is LGPL so I don't know of any option of commercially licensing it. Digia is probably giving this so customers can do what Qwt does without having the LGPL.
          Even so this is not a good sign I admit. (You however can't admit to some of your completely false points).

Nokia has not ripped things out. They turned them into addons. They are still there, but because they are understaffed due to the Brisbane Office shutdown they can't have them as essential, they could very well be essential if a company liek ICS buys them out and Qt gets away from Nokia's downward spiral.

Here is the thing, if the situation looks like it well ever get as bad as you say guess what. We can fork it. Why? Qt IS free software. It won't just be some poorly maintained Open Source project, Qt has a lot of uses in the industry and has many companies invested in it.

Oh, don't forget this: http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php

Comment

Digia is sooo cool

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            You sir are either a troll or an idiot or both.
            Yeah sure. Im all that and I will burn in eternal flames. At least im not spearheading Qt into new markets like Digia is doing.

How about QNX?

And just because Digia is so freedom loving it is all done from Windows. talking about going non-free with a style

So much for freedom.
            So much for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              Same kind of crap will happen with Mono sooner or later....not that i use it or i'm a big fan of it...quite opposite.
              Mono already went through this. Ximian was bought by big company (Novell), big company got into trouble, Mono team got laid off.

And now Mono is stronger than before and Xamarin is doing extremely well.

Comment

Yeah sure. Im all that and I will burn in eternal flames. At least im not spearheading Qt into new markets like Digia is doing.

How about QNX?

And just because Digia is so freedom loving it is all done from Windows. talking about going non-free with a style

So much for freedom.
                So much for linux.
                Oh god WTF is wrong with you.
                You expect every company to have every machine running Linux? Holy shit. Newsflash, most computers still run windows.
                People use whatever software is there for the task. They do not use linux for the sake of using Linux.

At least im not spearheading Qt into new markets like Digia is doing.
                That proves it. You a troll or just plain dumb.
                You are saying, bringing Qt to a new market is a _bad_ thing.
                How can bringing something to a new market be a bad thing.

Edit: Way to ignore my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                  Mono already went through this. Ximian was bought by big company (Novell), big company got into trouble, Mono team got laid off.

And now Mono is stronger than before and Xamarin is doing extremely well.
                  Oh yeah., i just remember now that...who is in charge of the free stuff nowdays in terms of Mono ? Xamarin also ?!?

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                    How can bringing something to a new market be a bad thing.
                    uhm because linux is being dumped bigtime on Qt right now. And before you start to argue against it, let me remind you of Nokias next billion Qt devices which were supposed to be served on MeeGo and Meltemi. It is fucking gone.

Nobody knows where Qt is heading now. If Qt stays with Nokia or it is sold to RIM or Digia it will never turn good for linux and free software. And that is really troubling.

Comment

Delayed QT5 and the effect on KDE - Positive?

A delay in QT5 might not be all bad. I mean, there's a silver lining in everything.

KDE4 in the last few releases(4.6, 4.7, and especially 4.8) has simply been amazing. I'm looking forward here soon to installing 4.9 and having a go at it. (amazing with a caveat - sure, I've noticed bugs here and there. That's to be expected in a community environment where we are the bug testers)

From what I understand, KDE5 isn't planned to be so earth-shattering as KDE4 was, but still. A KDE 4.10, 4.11, 4.12 and so forth that further builds upon the already matured code base longer than it otherwise would have might be a good thing, before QT5 and thus KDE5 arrives.

How many times to you see people around here complain about how buggy that KDE is? A delay which forces further maturation(read: bug squashing) might be just what the doctor ordered.
                      Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 02 August 2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X