Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

Phoronix: Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

With Nokia shutting down their Qt Australia office -- and looking to sell off Qt -- this has already directly harmed the forthcoming Qt 5.0 tool-kit release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I LOLed

Now we can all see the consequences of compromising freedom for 15 years.

A free fork (sans CLA) now!
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 02 August 2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Same kind of crap will happen with Mono sooner or later....not that i use it or i'm a big fan of it...quite opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Now we can all se the consequences of compromising freedom for 15 years.

A free fork (sans CLA) now!
        Are you a troll? WTF is wrong with you?
        It's LGPL what more do you want, people don't work for free, Qt needs a CLA so they can license a commercial version.
        Even Stallman is fine with this business model and CLAs.

It's free software whatever you say, the fact that you _can_ fork it shows it is free.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
          Even Stallman is fine with this business model and CLAs.
          Yeah go ask him how he feels about Digia selling non-free add-ons with Nokias blessings. He is not thrilled I tell you baby.

Comment

Yeah go ask him how he feels about Digia selling non-free add-ons with Nokias blessings. He is not thrilled I tell you baby.
            Nonfree addons? As I understand it this is false. There was some patch delta between qt commercial and mainline, but they have released the sources to try and get it pushed into mainline. Correct me if I am wrong?

Comment

Nonfree addons? As I understand it this is false. There was some patch delta between qt commercial and mainline, but they have released the sources to try and get it pushed into mainline. Correct me if I am wrong?
              And I looks like I am likely right:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Digia is not in any way carrying a delta on purpose. In actuality, what happens during our release cycle and our patch releases is that we work very closely with Nokia on all releases. Digia focuses, naturally, on all desktop and embedded bugs and additional features while Nokia focuses only on Symbian and mobile-related features. For the LGPL version, it is Nokia that decides what fixes/patches go into the LGPL version, and naturally, they choose bugs/fixes that are for Symbian and mobile. They decide to leave out many desktop and embedded big fixes as their target and focus is on mobile and they need to prioritize those. In turn because Digia?s charter is to service desktop and embedded Qt customers, we need to take in the desktop and embedded fixes/patches that Nokia leaves out because they are crucial for our customers. Digia has no control as to what goes into the LGPL at time of release, only what goes into the Commercial version.

Digia is committed to the Qt community and all the fixes/patches that we work on for desktop and embedded are available for Nokia to take into the main branch. However, it is Nokia to decide what and when they take them in. Digia is in no way looking to fork and in fact are very committed to the Qt Project and will take an extremely active role in the project moving forward.

I am very open to discussing this further with you and would welcome an interview with myself or with our Director of R&D. We value the Phoronix readers's opinions as the entire OS community.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong?
                Go read Digias blog. You might also find it interesting how much effort Digia is putting into finding new markets. No love for Linux.

Comment

A bit harsh..

And I looks like I am likely right:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA0NzI
                  No actually you are wrong. Thanks anyway. It is nice to clarify Nokias former position; Fuck Qt on the desktop.

These days Nokia is a bit more harsh;

"Dear all users of Qt, fuck you, fuck phones, fuck desktops and fuck linux. But thanks for all the code you CLAed."

With love and lulz, yours truly
                  ELOP

Comment

Go read Digias blog. You might also find it interesting how much effort Digia is putting into finding new markets. No love for Linux.
                    Nice change of subject. It is not a reuqirement of free software to support linux (digia seems to support linux fine actually, see below) and you ignored my quote on how the delta was unintentional and out of their control as nokia handles the lgpl release.

The second post on their qt blog is about updating the embedded linux toolchain: http://digia.com/en/Blogs/Qt-blog/Sa...ommercial-SDK/

So all that you have said about no linux love, nonfree addons is pure bullshit and FUD, while I can prove what I say with sources.
                    I smell a troll.

Comment

Working...
                    X